lionfish question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was born in Gary, moved to Portage in 1976, left the area in 1984. I was keeping saltwater tanks from about 1980 until I went into the Army in 84. Just got back into it a few years ago. Check out my thread http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5191
I have been keeping lionfish since I got back into the hobby:D

Born in Hammond Moved to Griffith , Left for the Amry and Never returned. LOL

Also Todd that link to Grimreefers has been suspended.

Last edited:
Born in Hammond Moved to Griffith , Left for the Amry and Never returned. LOL

Also Todd that link to Grimreefers has been suspended.

I left for the Army in 84 and never returned as well:lol:
Yeah, grimreefers has been having lots of problems with hackers these days, its too bad since its the only pred saltwater fish forum out there.

I think there about 6 inches maybe. I like the red one the best his color is alot better then the brown one. But the brown one is the king of the tank in my eyes. He will hunt anything down and with one gulp its gone and he is a big pig. But for the red guy well lets just say he is learning to get the food in his mouth the first try. He misses alot if the shrimp is on the bottom of the tank but if its in the middle of the tank its gone..

RE: feeding volitans lionfish.

I have had mine for a month now and only feed him in the day time, and only when he comes to the front looking for food as part of having him trained so he will be active in the day instead of its natural dawn and dusk. I feed him as much as it takes to see a good bulge in his guts...and he still looks for food more than once a day, and will recieve it if he looks like he can pack it in! perhaps this is why he has double in size in the month I have had him. he is in a 65g tank with very little live rock, half inch of aragonite, and a fluval 405 canister with all chambers full of biomedia. I have yet to do a water change and have no problems with ammonia or nitrite. nitrates below 10ppm and no algae problems even though I run 2 30 in vho lights, one 10k and one 6700k ( thats just what was on the tank). I have been feeding him sliversides, gut packed african cichlid fry( have too much) , krill, and sea food mix with squid,octopus, shrimp, oysters, clams, mussles. I even dropped a small chunk of frozen mysid shrimp and he had himself a shrimp popcycle to my surprize.

anyway, just my 2 cents

Back