Little Giant Pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I'm looking for an external pump for my sump and I'm considering the Little Giant 2-MDQX-SC.

Any comments or suggestions?

I've heard good things about little giant pumps. Never tried one, but heard good things. I know there was a series though that had to be oiled every few months. Not sure if that goes for all of their pumps or just that particular series, but I'm sure someone here will know:)

Little Giant pumps are great pumps.
They do have the coolong fan that does make some noise, but so do almost all external pumps.

Iwaki pumps do not transfer heat. They are one of the best. Only untill the 100 you need to worry about heat. I have installed plenty.
Jason

So which one would you recommend for my setup?

Iwaki WMD30RLXT?

That one would be too much flow.
Also, if you are looking at the Iwakis, check out the MD series, they tend to be a little quieter.
They may be more up front, but in the long run worth it.

That one would be too much flow.
Also, if you are looking at the Iwakis, check out the MD series, they tend to be a little quieter.
They may be more up front, but in the long run worth it.

That's what I thought. I was considering getting the WMD40RLT but then read this:

RLT pumps are for pressure applications. RLXT pumps are for circulation and wet/dry return.

The 40 would be too much pump.
In the Iwaki's I think you need to look at the 20 series.

The 40 would be too much pump.
In the Iwaki's I think you need to look at the 20 series.

The thing is that the guys that made my tank drilled two 1/2" bulkhead returns and I would like to use them both but I know the return would lose some preasure in the split so I was thinking that getting a pump a little bit stronger would compensate for that. What do you think?

Your drain is only capable of 600gph at the best of times. You need to get a pump that does a little under the drain max.
I think you should be aiming for around 450 to 500 gallons per hour taking into account head pressure.

I have 2 Little giant 4-mdqx on 2 of my tanks and I love them. They are quiet for me. My wife has no complaints on the noise level. I have had one for 2 or 3 years. I think I oil it every 6 months with 2 or 3 drops of oil. Great pump in my opinion.

Back