Live Rock Odor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wsboyette

Fisherman
In the past, my only experience with live rock was with long-established rock that had a normal sort of fishy odor. This Monday, I received pre-cured new LR (from LiveAquaria.com) and placed it all in the tank (having previously placed a couple of inches of CaribSea live sand therein). The rock had the same scent as I recalled LR in my past having when I unboxed it, rinsed it and placed it in the tank. Then today I removed a piece for a little additional cleaning, and it had a distinct hydrogen sulfide odor, such as that put off by anaerobic bacteria. Is this due to the normal growth of anaerobic bacteria within the pores of the LR, or die-off, or what - and is this a normal occurrence during LR cycling ?

Sounds more like die off, normally when you use LR like that it has a lot of sponge deep inside the rock, when the air hits that it begins to die, so I would imagine the bacteria are starting to burn through the deep stuff in the rock.

Mojo

My last (well only) order of Live Rock from LA was shipped in damp newspaper and when it arrived and went into the tank I had the familiar "Cycle" smell in less than a day. This "Cycle Smell" is what you've described as "Hydrogen Sulfide" smell. It was some of the worst rock I've ever bought but not because of the smell. It went away in a week or so. Honestly I feel like their shipping it merely damp allowed too much die-off deeper in the rock.

Back