Live Rock question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
has anyone bought this figi LR...i am trying to figure out if it is normal figi without coraline or if it is just really cheap looking and cheap shaped..if it is just lacking the coraline, that will be fine, but i don't want some junk rock w/ no shape... i have had problems w/ this company's LR before.....i will be using it to stack other rock on, but i would still like some nice shapes and sizes...
any feedback would be great!!!!!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2391

yeah, i've seen that before...it's a little pricey and the rock looks very dense

I've never dealt with those people before so I couldn't comment on the condition of their rock. In any event, I've heard of a lot of people that use figi rock and are pleased with it. Not all rocks will come covered in coraline, but that doesn't mean it is junk. You never know what conditions it sits in before people buy it from a supplier so as a result, it may not be all colored up. You pop it in your tank with proper lighting and conditions and in a while, the rock will look totally different. :)

All the rock i have ever bought has never been covered with coraline algae. It did however start to grow on my rocks after a few months and now almost all of my rock is covered with it.

well, i don't really mean covered in coraline....i have got some from them before that literally looked like they went along a street and picked up a few pieces of concrete and sent it to me... i got one good shipment from them out of three orders of rock..they recently added catergories of figi rock to their selection.

base rock is just base rock, you prob wont get that many different shapes with this type of rock

have you thought of usint eggcrate instead of rock to set your LR on, it serves as a rock holder and will help with dead spots that the rock piled ontop of each other will cause and also can give your fish more hiding places

Jay

ronj said:
has anyone bought this figi LR...i am trying to figure out if it is normal figi without coraline or if it is just really cheap looking and cheap shaped..if it is just lacking the coraline, that will be fine, but i don't want some junk rock w/ no shape... i have had problems w/ this company's LR before.....i will be using it to stack other rock on, but i would still like some nice shapes and sizes...
any feedback would be great!!!!!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2391

Well, if you read the first two paragraphs carefully you will see several words that you really don't want to see when you are shopping for live rock.
foundation, dense, oval, round,and boulder.
You said you are looking for rock than isn't "junk rock w/no shape".
Those words imply that exactly. JMO.

you definately have a point Finn... i guess i can't be picky though if i don't want to spend that much

ronj said:
you definately have a point Finn... i guess i can't be picky though if i don't want to spend that much

you just want some rock to set your rock on, right, that would work fine
have you thought about the eggcrate (light diffuser) idea

Jay

I make my own. I get whatever shape I want and it's cheap. I can give you my recipe if you want. It works great!

i can't get his website to work..it says : updating....i don't have that kind of money though.. i need something a little cheaper... i have to fill my 125g w/ rock... i may go w/ premium aquatics for the top layer though....they will let me pick size and shape

that is way to steep for me...$6.25 lb.. i can get it at my lfs for that w/out shipping...i also looked at reefermadness....they are pretty reasonable also and the rock looks good

Last edited:
Isn't there places in your area you can get aqua cultured rock? By area I mean in or around Florida?
Should be cheap, I would think.

i am in louisiana for a short while.....i am supposed to be moving back soon..i am going home tomorrow for the weekend..also, the lfs by my house in florida have that very dense and heavy live rock.. i think it is caribean rock????? it is very ugly and they sell it for $6lb...that's pretty funny.. they are jerks too.. i don't like the owners at all, but i have to buy some supplies there.

Well, about the cheapest rock I have seen is the Caribbean rock at liveaquaria.
A 40lb. box for $99. Add a $1.25 I think for shipping makes it approx $3.72 a lb.
There are places to get dead rock that's cheaper, then use a lesser amount of good live rock to seed it. But that is something I would not consider for my self.
Other than finding someone local with some?

as long as the pieces are good shapes and sizes, i will get coraline growing on them like crazy....my lfs here in louisiana just got like several hundred lbs given to him for free by a person that was breaking down his tank... he has HUGE pieces that are flat,round...they are really nice.. i will see if i can bargain w/ him some.. he is kinda stingy sometimes, so i don't think i will get it under $4-$5lb

Back