Live rock questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BTW, I thought Florida rock can't be harvested anymore?

Beats me!(LOL) I ordered the LR through the LFS here and that's what he said it was. You'd think I'd just go dive it up seeing I live in the Bahamas huh? :lol:

Its aquacultured florida rock. As far as I know it is illegal to collect, or sell florida live rock unless its marincultured. Droped into large vats in the sea, and then pulled up, cleaned and sold. The lfs, has got some in the past, and a coulple of pieces have grown corals out on thier own.

wrightme43 said:
A few hundred extra spent on rock for the good stuff, will be forgotten quickly. A few hundred saved, will nag on you every time you look in your reef.
wrightme43 said:
Get the good stuff. It pays in the begining, middle, and end.

Hey, I forgot to ask you what you think "the good stuff" is :)

many lfs charge you for cured rock but dont really cure it, just order it in and throw it all in the same tank and sell it. we have one i know of in spokane that does a good job of curing, dont know about your area. this is one more reason to consider uncured! also this is great to start a NEW tank as already mentioned but dont cure rock in an existing tank with any livestock! start the cure for a week or so in the garage and most of the smell will be gone and finish the cure in the main tank. have fun! (no such thing as pre-cured)

Have any of you had trouble with algae blooms after curing your rock in the display tank (again this is a new tank)?

If your worried about the unwanted things (i.e. brissel worms, crabs) use club soda before placing rock in tank and it will remove virtually everything from your rock. I found out the hard way and had several crabs kill several of my fish and soft coral.

i bought LR from drsfostersmith.com. the first time i got really nice rock. they say it stays in huge pools that cure it, but it had flies all in it, some of it was very dry and hardly any coralline on it. after a while in the tank mine became covered with coralline. the second time i ordered from them i think they sent me concrete. it was the worst LR i've ever seen. i sent it back. they sent me some more and it was a little better. i kept it just because i got 2 huge peices. the rest were garbage. i won't buy LR from them again. watch out for 45lb specials on sale. they are mostly rock sitting in a warehouse that they need to dump really fast.

Back