Live Rock Saturation?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

(I have a feeling this first post will be long, so please bare with me :))

Is it possible for Live Rock to become saturated in a short period of time, or to become too much bioload for itself at which point it turns into an algal driven system? Maybe liverock should be considered a bioload to the tank?

Recently, due to a water accident, my tank had to come down. For those that don't know about my system, it is a BB, high flow, big skimmer, good parameters, good coral growth and coloration. In the process of removing everything from the display, it was discovered that the algae in my tank was more severe than I thought (with the LR). Bubble and turf algaes were growing within the rock itself (Pukani rock porous enough for light to emit into the rock?). I had always figured that there must have been a lot of sponge inside the rock that died to fuel the algae. I took a hammer and chisel to one of my very large pieces (took up about 1/3 of my 120) and discovered when the rock busted in half, the inside was full of rubble. This meant the total inside of the large rock was held together by sponge, and when the sponge died and decomposed, all that remained in the middle were pieces of rubble. As we know with rubble piles in our tanks, they can become detritus traps.

Could the live rock have become overwhelmed by decomposing organics with all the sponge, to the point the rock was saturated? This saturation then fueled the algae from the inside, even though the rock was only a year and a half old? Was it the detritus getting trapped? The algae wasn't only in the large pieces, but the smaller ones, too. I never had measurable nitrates or phosphates...even on spot tests (also, I understand about measuring inorganic vs. organic phosphates). My understanding of saturated live rock or old live rock, is tissue recession on corals, which I didn't have.

The second part of my question is to cook the rock, or should I literally boil it outside in sections? The boiling to kill everything in the rock, and place it back in the system. Create a piece of rock that is new and fresh for bacteria and critters to colonize once again. By placing the boiled pieces in the dark sump, they will be able to get colonized in bacteria and regain their filtrative capabilities. Give the boiled rock a few days to a week to recolonize, and do the next section of rock. I see this as more advantageous than cooking. I have a low bioload, with few fish. Some of the rock was pretty bad, and I think boiling will be the best route, but should I cook others instead of boil?

This is interesting Nikki. I know of several tanks out there with Pukani rock. None of them are doing particularly spectacular as far how nice the rocks look. There is Mine, I have about 75 pounds of it. There is Yours, Chuck has quite a bit, and Salsaking. The rocks in all these tanks looks about the same, with brown furry algea present in most of them. I would love to see someone out there that has Pukani rock that looks fantastic and covered with corraline. I have been planning on replacing my rocks, but just havn't been too excited about spending all that money again on rocks.

Excellent topic Nikki....

I'd say this....the rock itself is nothing more than a surface area, a media, so to speak, for bacterial growth. The ability of this media to deal with what is happening in the system is a basic function of bacteria populations and available nutrients...

You noted that the insides of your rock were basically hollow...filled with rubble and sponges and goo...obvious algae fuel in there...yet your water tests were ok....I'd say that's a proximity issue...the nutrients are staying in/near the rock and only minimally making it into the water column at best before they are taken up by algaes on the surface of the rock....thus giving you good water quality tests...(kinda like a DSB...:lol: ). Because of the proximity and slower diffusion rates of nutrients in and out of the rock, the nutrients are rapidly getting used up by the algae on the surface of the rock before they have the oppritunity to get removed from the system by other means....that's how I visualize it....

Ok...cooking the rock....boiling it will kill stuff, and volitize some of the nutrients out...but not all....I'd boil it and then cure the rock in the dark for a few months...let the remaining organics inside the rock break down in a cure tank....I did this with the Fiji I got in June, and in my new BB system, the difference in shed is very noticeable between it and my old rock....get as much of the nutrients out of the rock as you can....

MikeS

big t said:
I would love to see someone out there that has Pukani rock that looks fantastic and covered with corraline.

Should we mention mojos? However, I think he did the super duper pre rock processing in a hot tub with ozone for awhile?

I hear ya on buying rock again....this is by far the most porous rock and best shapes I've seen, so I don't want to trash it. Can rock be too porous?

MikeS said:
the rock itself is nothing more than a surface area, a media, so to speak, for bacterial growth. The ability of this media to deal with what is happening in the system is a basic function of bacteria populations and available nutrients...

So, wouldn't the rock become skewed to algael driven, as opposed to bacterial driven? Instead of the rock getting a chance to process nutrients by bacteria, which were too busy trying to shed all the junk from the once present sponge, the algae stepped up to the plate to process the nutrients?

When the rock broke open, it wasn't full of goo and sponge....it was pretty much just rubble. My detritus comment was based on the thought of rubble trapping detritus, but I didn't notice any significant amount in that open space, and the sponge had long gone.

MikeS said:
Ok...cooking the rock....boiling it will kill stuff, and volitize some of the nutrients out...but not all....I'd boil it and then cure the rock in the dark for a few months...let the remaining organics inside the rock break down in a cure tank....

Why take the boiled pieces and place them in a dark container to process more? I might as well put it all in a container to cook, and skip the boiling? Wouldn't boiling the pieces and placing them in the sump do the same thing as in a separate container? I suppose they would be subjected to nutrients in the tank then, but what about filtration for the display?

On the bioload....do you think live rock can actually contribute to the bioload of the tank with its continual shedding?

NaH2O said:
On the bioload....do you think live rock can actually contribute to the bioload of the tank with its continual shedding?

Nikki,

I think that this is an issue that most people don't think about. I truly believe that LR is a portion of the bioload of a tank. Here's why. I set up another nano tank and since one of my mantises was dead and that tank really had too much rock in it, I grabbed a couple of nice pieces out of it. Once this rock started getting a regular photoperiod of lighting in the new nano, I had an algae bloom like I've never experienced before. Seeing as how the only other bioload in that nano was about 5 snails, it's clear that the rock was in bad shape.

I started thinking about it and then it made sense. Unlike humans, mantis shrimp stop eating when they get full. Then they bury their food in the sandbed. As a result, sandbeds in mantis tanks get full quicker than most sandbeds and clearly, the rock sitting on that sandbed get full quicker as well. I wouldn't expect to find a whole lot of detritus inside a piece of rock. The bacteria are going to break it down too quickly. I have seen a picture of a large piece of rock broken apart that even had an Hydrogen sulphide zone in it once (I don't recall where).

I decided to pull all of the rock out of that mantis tank and cook it. Then I replaced the rock in the nano with some Marshall Island from a different tank that had been cooked previously and didn't have any problems with algae any longer.

While I've never boiled LR, I have boiled LPS skeletons before that I've picked up from the LFS. It seems to work well and coralline will grow quickly on it. I do think that people who are thinking about boiling should remember that Eric Borneman had a friend who boiled rock inside and got very ill. Make sure you do it outside so you're not breathing the fumes.

Definately don't throw away that rock Nikki....it is some of the nicest rock that I've ever seen in my life. However, I would recommend that anyone using Pukani rock in the future is careful to get ALL the rock boring sponges off of it before putting it in your display tank. It seems to have a LOT of sponges.

You are right Curt, I don't think I have ever heard about people thinking that their live rock is part of their bioload. Since it is in our systems, I would almost have to believe that it is part, if not most of the bioload, if you think about it.
Take my system for instance, 300 lbs. of live rock in a 400 gallon system. Recently I did some rescaping and broke a large piece of Kaelini in half, leaving a large part of the inside of the rock exposed. Since then, I have had a cyano bloom that has been awfully hard for me to explain, since I did not chnage anything else. I wonder if exposing the inside of the rock caused this????

Very interesting topic Nikki, like I said before, no one really thinks about it.

I suspect that the anaerobic bacteria were now exposed and released their phosphates. Cyanobacteria which are always present, were thrilled to death and bloomed. As the nitrifying bacteria in the rock re-establish themselves, they will keep the phosphates to themselves and the cyanobacteria should go away.

Curtswearing said:
I suspect that the anaerobic bacteria were now exposed and released their phosphates. Cyanobacteria which are always present, were thrilled to death and bloomed. As the nitrifying bacteria in the rock re-establish themselves, they will keep the phosphates to themselves and the cyanobacteria should go away.

Thanx for the reply. I really haven't done anything except more and larger water changes, just waiting for things to settle. I'll say it again, this is definitly something that alot of people don't think about.
If Nikki gets back online sometime today, I'd like to request that maybe she should throw a sticky on this thread, this is important stuff!!!

There are thousands upon thousands of scientific studies regarding the microbiology of bacteria in sediments and Eutrophication. If you Google "The Phosphorus Cycle" you will see that oceanic sediments (and land-based soils) are an intregral portion of that cycle.

The problem is that most of us consider sediment to be sand and mud. However, to a bacterium, LR, coral skeletons, etc. are considered sediments too. (While that sounds like a bad thing, it isn't. Otherwise, LR would serve no purpose other than to be decorations in our tanks.)

phoscycle.jpg

Is the live rock a part of the bioload on the tank, or is the rock releasing nutrients allow algae and cyanobacteria to flourish?

I'm wondering if Nikki's rocks, (and your mantis tank rock, Curt), had just become saturated with nutrients to a point that it "feeds" bacteria and algae blooms?

Nick

you know this a very insteresting thread and thanks Nikki for making the thread.
I've never thought about this really and i always took rock as a not only decoration but for worms and what not to live in.
May be i have the same problem may be not.
I don't have to much rock in my tank but i have a one nice piece of fiji that every since i got it has always had algae, i thought it'd go away after a while but it's been 2 years and the algae is still there and i could say that it's the only rock that always has have algae while all of the other have but went away.
Anyways i just thought like sharing and i'm tagging along :)

maxx said:
Is the live rock a part of the bioload on the tank, or is the rock releasing nutrients allow algae and cyanobacteria to flourish?

I would say that this is a result of a good deal of varibles, such as bioload in the tank in the first place...the rock itself very basically is IMO nothing more than a media for bacteria. I suppose it could be considered part of the bioload on the tank, but honestly I don't see it as such....more like a result of bioload. Of couse you have all the flora and fauna associated with the rock...which can contribute to bioload....but this really varies from tank to tank and rock to rock...

maxx said:
I'm wondering if Nikki's rocks, (and your mantis tank rock, Curt), had just become saturated with nutrients to a point that it "feeds" bacteria and algae blooms?

Nick

I'd suspect that is the case...I'll take the rock in my tank as an example...I got some Fiji rock back in July...this was the rock that I intended to smash up and use as a substrate for my plenum...I wasn't ready to do so at the time, so I placed the rocks in a cure tank. They shed a lot at first, but with no addition of nutrients into the system, they gradually tapered off, as the existing nutrients were used up. Eventually the shed from them was non-existant.

Cirumstances dictated that I had to move my reef, and instead of smashing up the rock, I put a lot of it in my tank, along with some select pieces of my orgional rock. You can still tell the difference between the two just by looking at the amount of shedding...the new rock sheds much less than the old orgional rock from my tank. This simple observation would tell me that yes, they can become fairly saturated with nutrients....and also that they are really not directly part of the bioload, but more of a response to it. Obviously there will be exceptions...such as rock introduced into the system with a good deal of life on/in it, especially if said life is in decline, like a rotting sponge....or rock already completely saturated with nutrients..but all in all, I wouldn't put it in the category of bioload on the tank. Basically, I don't think the rock is producing wastes as much as it is trying to deal with wastes...

NaH2O said:
When the rock broke open, it wasn't full of goo and sponge....it was pretty much just rubble. My detritus comment was based on the thought of rubble trapping detritus, but I didn't notice any significant amount in that open space, and the sponge had long gone.

Sorry, I must have misread your post...:D

NaH2O said:
Why take the boiled pieces and place them in a dark container to process more? I might as well put it all in a container to cook, and skip the boiling? Wouldn't boiling the pieces and placing them in the sump do the same thing as in a separate container? I suppose they would be subjected to nutrients in the tank then, but what about filtration for the display?

Yes....but boiling won't remove all the nutrients....curing in a seperate tank should give you rock with a lowered amount of saturated nutrients, and hence these won't be re-introduced back into your system...

NaH20 said:

Agian...no, especially in an older system like yours Nikki, as the rock basically really isn't producing nutrients on its own, it's simply processing nutrients already existant in the system.

MikeS

Charlie,
I never saw how her rocke looked "FOB", (Fresh Outta the Box....:D) so I cant say for sure, but based on what she and Curt said, the rock was pretty loaded with sponge. When that sponge died off, it let loose w/ a ton of nutrients, which would have fueled an algae explosion.
While Nikki took her time in placing anything in the tank, ( I think she waited just about a year before putting any corals in, and almost 6 months before adding fish) she didnt cook the rock, (Place it in a dark container with a skimmer, do lots of water changes over a 2-3 month period, etc thereby making the entire process bacterial driven to remove the nutrients from the decaying sponge).
I didnt either, but I did keep my rockwork in the basement, in a darker spot with a skimmer for 6 months or more. I ordered my rock about the same time Nikki did, from the same supplier, and the shapes of the rock are very similar. I dont have the same issues Nikki does, (MY issues are totally different and ma require years of therapy.....thats what wife says anyway.....)
The difference IMO, more of the nutrients from my rock was removed by keeping the rock in a darker area, (though not light tight, and I didnt do water changes), so I didnt have the same amount of available nutirents to feed algae.

Just my opinion, and I could easily be wrong.....

Nick

maxx said:

I don't think so. The bacteria isn't being fed anything anymore. It is too busy trying to process what is already there. The algae is taking up any extra available nutrients coming from the rock.

charlie said:
Why would they have become saturated so quickly tho? It's like she never had a chance, the algae just never went away!

A couple of reasons, I suspect. The first being my luck ;)....getting sponge ladened rock. While the outside of the rock had some pretty good sponge on it, Curt and I never really busted the rocks apart to dig out the sponge on the inside. I didn't dream that it would fuel algae like this. The algae has changed over the course of the year....it went from loads of hair algae, to turf and bubble. The second reason, and I don't know how much this plays into it, my skimmer had broken and wasn't functioning correctly for about 6 weeks or so. I'd have to look back at my thread, but I think it was any where from a month to two months.

spongebob lover said:
I've never thought about this really and i always took rock as a not only decoration but for worms and what not to live in.

I think this is where some SPS keepers may differ a bit. At least from what I've seen and speaking of myself, live rock is structure to grow awesome corals on. Yes, pods are very important to me, yes I enjoy the meiofauna that is in LR. I far more enjoy those things in the nano. My SPS tank, I rely more on my Skimmer to do the work. Perhaps there is something to that ceramic reef rock in an SPS tank?? :rolleyes:

spongebob lover said:
i have a one nice piece of fiji that every since i got it has always had algae, i thought it'd go away after a while but it's been 2 years and the algae is still there and i could say that it's the only rock that always has have algae while all of the other have but went away.

Gabby, you might benefit from removing that piece of rock, and placing it in a container to cook it. You could use an empty bucket with a powerhead and heater...put the lid on.

MikeS said:
I would say that this is a result of a good deal of varibles, such as bioload in the tank in the first place...the rock itself very basically is IMO nothing more than a media for bacteria. I suppose it could be considered part of the bioload on the tank, but honestly I don't see it as such....more like a result of bioload. Of couse you have all the flora and fauna associated with the rock...which can contribute to bioload....but this really varies from tank to tank and rock to rock...

MikeS said:
This simple observation would tell me that yes, they can become fairly saturated with nutrients....and also that they are really not directly part of the bioload, but more of a response to it. Obviously there will be exceptions...such as rock introduced into the system with a good deal of life on/in it, especially if said life is in decline, like a rotting sponge....or rock already completely saturated with nutrients..but all in all, I wouldn't put it in the category of bioload on the tank. Basically, I don't think the rock is producing wastes as much as it is trying to deal with wastes...

I had no bioload in the tank in the first place....other than rock. The decomposition from the organics won't count as load? Can't bacterial populations waxing and waning be counted as bioload? Bacterial populations bloom to deal with the decaying organics, consume it, then die off....that large die off would be a production of waste...add in the bacterial end products when the bacteria are growing.

Ah...edit before my submission. I think I understand what you're saying........ the rock isn't bioload because it really isn't alive....more just a skeleton for other things. However, I see it as live with bacterial populations. I would imagine the majority of bacteria are present on and in the rock when used for biological filtration.

MikeS said:
Yes....but boiling won't remove all the nutrients....curing in a seperate tank should give you rock with a lowered amount of saturated nutrients, and hence these won't be re-introduced back into your system...

This is what I've learned from the mojo....and I might as well quote him. It was in response to a similar question from Eric Borneman...

Eric Hugo said:
Mike, why would boiling remove nutrients? The nutrients are already efectively in solution in tank water and not equilibrated with concentrations with the tank water, presumably. You think the vigorous boiling action gets them out that water flow in the tank wouldn't? Or that freshwater makes them more soluble than in salt water? Just curious...boiling will definitely clear all life out, but I would think that soaking in a stong caustic solution of NaOH followed by neutralization in freshwater would be more effective, or high heat baking, perhaps (not sure on this one, but has some basis)

mojoreef said:
The high heat of the water removes all surface algaes including corraline, its a great surfcae cleaner. As per the interior of the I believe the high heat and FW (low pH) combo melt and make the detritus and decay blockage soluable and allows it to stream to the surface. I have taken what looks to be clean rock and done the boil andwith the bubble action and hot water the ammount of crud that comes out is pretty impressive.
This is just a procedure I used for old rocks that are pure detritus producers and if you dont want to wait for it to cook normal. Also if you have plenty of other rock to reseed it.
It does kill off all life on and in the rock but in the case of rocks of this case that may be a good thing. With algaes, sponges and simular blocking flow and creating diversions for their own benefit, along with constant overloading of the bacterial processing system it give them kind of a fresh start with out really effecting your system.
placing them in a cuastic fluid might also work But I have no experence with that.

Its kind of the same idea as steam striping of nutrients. ALot to do with the low ph, vapor transmission and so on.

Also, on reading other posts on cooking and boiling, when there are some rocks completely plugged up from detritus, sponge, algae....the cooking can take a very long time. I have also read of boiling a newly introduced rock to avoid adding a nasty algae, parasite, etc. Even though my rock is not that old, I would bet it is pretty clogged up, and I'm not thrilled about cooking the rock for more than 2 months....I think regular rock takes up to that long. I don't consider my rock regular.

MikeS said:
Agian...no, especially in an older system like yours Nikki, as the rock basically really isn't producing nutrients on its own, it's simply processing nutrients already existant in the system.

My system isn't old. It is a year and a half...will be 2 years old at the end of May, which was the time the rock was added. Everything was new.

maxx said:
While Nikki took her time in placing anything in the tank, ( I think she waited just about a year before putting any corals in, and almost 6 months before adding fish) she didnt cook the rock, (Place it in a dark container with a skimmer, do lots of water changes over a 2-3 month period, etc thereby making the entire process bacterial driven to remove the nutrients from the decaying sponge).
I didnt either, but I did keep my rockwork in the basement, in a darker spot with a skimmer for 6 months or more. I ordered my rock about the same time Nikki did, from the same supplier, and the shapes of the rock are very similar. I dont have the same issues Nikki does, (MY issues are totally different and ma require years of therapy.....thats what wife says anyway.....)
The difference IMO, more of the nutrients from my rock was removed by keeping the rock in a darker area, (though not light tight, and I didnt do water changes), so I didnt have the same amount of available nutirents to feed algae.

My tank did not have any light on until it had completely cycled (2 months? something like that). No, it wasn't pitch black in the tank, but it wasn't getting too much light. It did have that incredible flow, though. Yes, my tank looks like crap, but did ya get a look at my closed loop??? (and yes, that had its fair share of problems...with the leak at the beginning :p). As stated, it was awhile before I added a fish, then awhile before I added another. It was just about 6 months before I added my first SPS and it wasn't much....just a couple of small frags to see how they'd do before I introduced more expensive pieces.

Happy New Year.
You know, I think this thread will make alot of people take a real hard look at the new rock that they purchase. Aside from the obvious things that come in on new rock, I think this will help people be a little more careful and, (I can't find the right word):( :( maybe make them think 2 or 3 times.
I'm real sorry for all your problems Nikki, but out of this should come alot of good things for all of us in the hobby.

Is this what yo guys been doing for the New Year? Humm!

Ok I guess I need to start @ the top be back with questions later, I hope there is room for more discussion.

I have issues with this LOL!
As I said a while back; I must wonder If we are adding too much live bio-processing rock to our BB tanks & heavy skimming. Nikki has a low bio-load and lots of algae problems, completely different algae problems than in a dsb say with the same amount of lr. When I converted from dsb to bb my algae also changed. When Mike said to Nikki Load that tank up I think that yea she needed to load it up otherwise she would continue to have those problems. (excuse me for switching back & forth) I cooked my lr when I moved to bb & months later still had algae problems, I had lots of rock & not much bio-load. So I decided to do some cooking, first try i didn't do it long enough two months it still loaded up bad still had razor algae (bad devil stuff). I took more rock out & cooked even longer & man this rock dumped stuff for the longest but even then it wasn't much better. This process would take an extremely long time to clear up clogged rock. I made a sauce pecont with a large portion after that, I dried it until white let it stay in the sun for weeks then I boiled it. Later after rinsing well I reintroduced it into the sump. Man oh Holly things from that day on was different, Naked White rock in my sump & eventually tank. I kept the new boiled rocks apart from the old. In no time brown algae started on the white rock covered for a few weeks then slowly it all went away & coralline went nuts on it. Unfortunately a few months later I sold everything so my experiment didn't get to continue but either I had too much rock & it clogged up from alga's because I didn't have enough competition or maybe the old dsb messed it up regardless I had great rock once it was re-established better that if I went out and brought new rock, with the exception on not getting any new bacteria. I wonder even if you would introduce different rock from all over the world would you eventually have a dominate strain of bacteria or would you have a Gumbo of bacteria all living happily in their pot rocks? I don't think the ladder to be true it doesn't seem natural, to me bacteria would either mutate to one dominate source strain or kill each other off to leave just one source but hey me not a scientist. :D

Scooterman said:
I made a sauce pecont with a large portion after that

What is a sauce pecont?

Thanks for your input Scooty. When I think back to how slowly I stocked the tank, I remember Mike telling me to get going on the stock list. Based on how much algae I had, I don't know that it would have made a huge difference in the outcome I am faced with now. The algae might have been slightly reduced, but I don't think the problem would be totally gone. The fact that you cooked your rock for an extended period with poor results makes me think I should really go the boiling route. I divided the rocks up today into various dark bins for cooking, and I still can't believe how much algae is in places I couldn't see in the tank. My tank is in total shambles right now, and I need to figure something out quickly.....that way I feel like I'm making some headway. A lot of my corals have browned up, and the rocks I have in the tank seem to be growing some bubble...or the bubble that was already there is getting larger. Scooty - what did you do for filtration while you were messing around with your rocks? Did you boil it in sections? Did the boiled rock shed anything after the boil? or was it all in the pot?

Scooterman said:
I wonder even if you would introduce different rock from all over the world would you eventually have a dominate strain of bacteria or would you have a Gumbo of bacteria all living happily in their pot rocks? I don't think the ladder to be true it doesn't seem natural, to me bacteria would either mutate to one dominate source strain or kill each other off to leave just one source but hey me not a scientist. :D

I don't think the dominant bacterias are much different from location to location, at least when talking ammonia and nitrite oxidizing bacterias. That will take some checking out. Depending on the food sources, the bacterial competition may or may not be problematic...and I imagine you would have bacterial competition even with rock from the same location. Once a food souce dies off or cuts back, so would some of the bacterial populations.

Well it's time I jumped in and hopefully get some questions answered. I had my pukani rock curing for almost a year. It was in a Rubbermaid tub and 2 Brute garbage cans. All containers were being skimmed.The Rubbermaid with a ER8-2 and the Brute cans shared a Aqua-C Remora back and fourth. All containers were covered I'd say about 95% for light. When I finally got the tank set up the rock was perfectly clean although still shedding detritus. As of now about 10 weeks later, The rock is definately going through alge cycles. It's close to about 60 % covered with fine green and brown alge and about 20%corraline and 20% bare. I am doing Bi-weekly 30 gal water changes and siphon regularly.My bio-load is relatively small. I've have a 3" Kole tang and a 4" Clown tang for a month. I just today added a small sailfin tang and a yellow tang. I feed spareingly so the tangs will help control alge The thing with this rock is that it's extreamly pourous. I can blow the rock with a ph and detritus will come out 5 or 6" away from where the ph is. It really gets to be a c*^# storm sometimes with the cleaning.:rolleyes:
I am wondering how much detritus is being trapped inside the rock where it can't be cleaned/siphoned?
I guess I'm tagging along with you Nikki trying to decide if I should try and boil some of my rock now and see if it helps before the tank becomes out of hand alge wise.
Thanks, Scott

Back