Live Rock Saturation?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

None really, accept in some cases iron for planted tanks or reg.. Most sup are in excess or are removed at lighting speed and not needed. I do not buy all these sup some add to their tanks and never have, neither does Randy. Borate, Strontium, Iodine and things like Silica are more of a personnel thing if needed. I have no probelm with sups if someone has a kit to test for them and they are in with normal parameters. Normal water changes take care of most of them

Here is our list

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNKYOUUUUUU Did I say thank you very much:lol:

I agree with Boomer, I don't add sups either.
I do occasionally add a drop of Lugols Iodine though, not that I believe it is needed or that it does anything but I bought a large bottle of it about 20 years ago and I feel I have to use it to get my money's worth.
I have about 95% of it left so I better live a long time.
Also I'm sure my New York City natural sea water supplies all the petrochemicals, DDT, PCB, anthrax and anything else the fauna needs to feel at home.
Paul

Andrew, I use it in the summer, My boat is grounded now and I'm not going to the beach.
Paul

wow, what a good thread, almost like a disneyland ride:)

coming from the stand point of a person who does maintenance, i find that alot of people simply dont do the maintenance required to acheive the results they want to enjoy, therefore forceing me to use "drastic measures" to keep things tidy, so for me "cooking" the rock and occasionally boiling the rock are a nessesary evil. as is overskimming and the constant use of medias to strip the water. for me i have always had better results this way and simply had to increase the amount of cal, alk, mag, iodine, and amino acids that goes into the system, which is why i like pharm or analytical grade chems. i can only imaging the build up of chemical crap in our closed systems.

Paul you use natural sea water?

Andrew, don't tell me you live in the Bahamas and you use "fake" seawater?:lol:
Paul

I still wonder if most problems could have been eliminated by adding rock slowly and allowing it to adapt to changes. You have lots of flow due to open area, then you slow flow down by placing more rock in gradually. A person can keep an eye out for dead spots or areas where algae could be managed successfully. Doing proper landscaping to prevent problems. You are allowing rock to mature slowing and adapt to changes. You have die off of coraline algae and regrowth. But not enough of die off to unbalance the curing process.

Back