Live Rock Theft

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Man, that sucks for that guy. It would take quite some time to retrieve that much rock from the ocean floor. He should have had someone checking on the rock while he was tending to family matters.

I didn't know live rock farmers placed rock in the ocean to later be farmed with life on them. I feel bad for the guy, but I'm curious if someone would've even known that the area of the ocean they were in had live rock that belonged to someone else.?

The ocean is such a big place after all?

I didn't know live rock farmers placed rock in the ocean to later be farmed with life on them. I feel bad for the guy, but I'm curious if someone would've even known that the area of the ocean they were in had live rock that belonged to someone else.?

The ocean is such a big place after all?

Well if anyone is in the business then they would know that there are rocks being cured in that part of the ocean. It took him 6 months to get the permit for one-acre leased aqua farm. Also too it is used by recreational divers near about seven other aqua farms. I doubt it was just some joe shmoe that took the rocks after all it is 300000lbs. It was probally someone who knew about it and decided to shaft the poor guy.

Yeah, it's likely another farmer, but since the whole leasing of ocean is news to me, I was curious if it is marked territory or something so that others know? If it's just open ocean, I could see how someone or a bunch of people for that matter could go hey, there's nice LR down here.

I'm sure there is a map of leased aqua farms for those in the industry. All they need is the intersecting longitude and latitude degree and it will take them to the precise location of the ocean or anywhere for that matter or in this case where the LRs are.

I'm almost 100% sure that none of his rock was stolen. It would take hundreds of man hours to steal that much rock. It wouldn't be worth the risk and the chances of getting caught are HUGE!! It was probably covered in sand during a storm. If he were to dig around a lil' he'd find it. That's actually a very common problem with rock farmers in that area. On the other side of the Florida "peninsula", where the waters are protected more from storms, they never have that problem. But, the leases are much more expensive on that side.

Back