Live rock with fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

R.Kowalski

I have 17 lbs of live rock so far in my 40 gallon tank. I purchased three yellow tale blue damsels for the cycling period. How much rock will I need after the tank is done cycling before I purchase another fish? The two fish I'm considering for future purchase are the blue assessor and orchid dottyback.

using fish to cycle a tank is a really old method that isn't used much any more. The rock itself will cycle the tank.

R Kowalski - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! :)

As Brad stated, using fish to cycle a tank, is seen as the old style, and there are less harmful ways to cycle the tank, such as a piece of shrimp in a nylon, or the use of live rock. How long has the tank been cycling? The general "rule of thumb" with regards to live rock pounds per gallon, is 1-2# of live rock, per gallon of tank water. After you add the remainder of your live rock, be sure to follow your parameters again, to make sure you don't have another ammonia spike with your new fish in the tank. Are you planning on any corals, too?

Hope this helps!

yes,I would like to get some corals too

but at 7.00 / lb for live rock needed for a 40 gallon it will take me a while.I only have 17 lbs so far.
Any recommendations as to the type of coral or when I should start getting some.
Its the cost thing.If I spend too much at one time my wife will freak :lol:

The types of corals you can add will depend on the tank's lighting. Some corals have stronger lighting requirements, and others not so much. Try to keep your bioload on the low side until you can add more live rock. That way the bacteria on the rock has a chance to process the wastes without overloading the system - the more rock you have the more bacteria, and the more processing it can handle. Do you have a skimmer on the tank? Wait until the tank has finished its cycle before adding anything else.

For lighting I have a corallife light with 2-96 watt compact fluorescent bulbs.One bulb is actinic and one is a 10,000 k (?) day bulb. I have a 230 gallon ph powerhead ,a penguin 330 filter, and I orderered a seaclone 100 protein skimmer(don't have it yet). I have to wait a bit before I can afford more live rock though. I'm using activated charcoal and zeolite in the filter media containers.

Back