live rock?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dj tryrd

dj tryrd
i've heard the phrase " all rock will become live if given enough time", by this line i assume that all rock means all rock, so my question to you is....

......can i buy some kind of rock from a store and put it in my tank as base rock?

if so what rock would be best? limestone?

don't worry about the fact that the rock won't be ready for my fish, one i have rock thats been in my tank, two i have a huge refufium, and three i have access to an area of beach crawling in amphipods, i figure i'll add a couple hundred of them to aid the process.

Things like Limestone will not turn into LR because its solid. Also if you use solid rock, pods will not have a refuge deep within the rock where predators cannot reach them.

I would stay away from Lacerock. I tried that route about 6 years ago and it was a mess. After awhile it will look like the rest of your LR but it breaks apart easily, like wet concrete. I used it as base rock to cut my costs and it worked but I wouldn't do it again.

To cut costs I would check the paper, craigslist ect for people selling their LR. You can even buy dried out or "dead" LR and use it as base rock.

You could look for people selling lr in your area or get some dry base rock like marco rock. Do a search on marco rock and you'll find some good things.

thanks people. the lime stone i was thinking of is worm coated anastasia. the worms are all dead now but they carve great wholes big and small into the rock, but i'll look for something else. the holes probably arent enough

again....thanks

Back