live sand question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The live sand in a bag also doesn't have all the beneficial bacterias in it yet....or all the nasty waste products from an existing tank. Once it's "alive" it needs to be kept alive or all those nasties and goodies will die....leaving a real stink and producing gasses you DON'T want in your tank.

The live sand in a bag also doesn't have all the beneficial bacterias in it yet....or all the nasty waste products from an existing tank. Once it's "alive" it needs to be kept alive or all those nasties and goodies will die....leaving a real stink and producing gasses you DON'T want in your tank.

ok well im starting a new tank and i was given live sand in a big bucket w/ water in it. if i put the sand in the new tank along with saltwater and let it circulate it should be fine after a while right.

What else is in the new tank? If it's just sand rock and water and you are going to let it cycle it will be ok eventually. If you have any livestock in the tank you don't want to start a cycle or you'll have trouble for sure.

What else is in the new tank? If it's just sand rock and water and you are going to let it cycle it will be ok eventually. If you have any livestock in the tank you don't want to start a cycle or you'll have trouble for sure.

I have a 55gal tank now that is up and running, has been running for 6 months, i just got a 75 gal tank and i want to move everything over to it, but i want to use sand. because my 55gal have crushed coral and i dont like it very much. so the new tank for now would only have water and sand in it.

The sand should be fine. If you want to add it to the 75g, with no livestock, then you're going to have to let it cycle. After the normal cycle is complete then you can add the contents of your cured display tank. No telling how long its going to take to cycle, it just depends on how much die off is in the sand.

I'm sorta in the same boat.... im a cheap azz so I am going to buy plain sand ..it will seed itself...

Its the longer cycle route but i dont care...it saves me money =).

In another thread we talked about cleaning sand... Get your hands on that sand sifter goby also known as diamond goby... keeps your sand turned and white.

dead sand smells!!!! i resied loads of it this summer. it was left in a tank for 5 days before i got to it with no heater or pumps... the snails were dead before i got there... but free is better than $$
although the time i spent rinse'n the sand could have been spent fraging and i could have sold the frags to buy sand...
6 of one half dozen of the other...

dead sand smells!!!! i resied loads of it this summer. it was left in a tank for 5 days before i got to it with no heater or pumps... the snails were dead before i got there... but free is better than $$
although the time i spent rinse'n the sand could have been spent fraging and i could have sold the frags to buy sand...
6 of one half dozen of the other...

Hehe thats awesome!

Back