Loki - the most awesomest mantis shrimp ever

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandlot13

Med Student Reefer
Alrighty, its about time I started a thread about Loki (my male Gonodactylus smithii).....

mantis0005.JPG

I recieved him from a fellow reeffrontierer (thanks Jason!) and currently have him in a 2 gallon temporary tank. I have a larger tank in the works, with lighting and filtration still being worked out, but I am moving into a new house in a few weeks, so I cant finish any of my work at the moment until i move and get settled in. Right now his upgraded tank will be a 5 gallon used-to-be-eclipse-tank-until-my-bro-stole-the-hood, most likely with a 96W Quad atop it....... (I know, thats a lot of light for a small tank, but its the only lighting fixture i have that will grow any sort of coral, so I figured it will have to work) I would transfer Loki into that right now, but it is currently occupied by my other mantis, Rose (female Gonodactylus chiragra), who is almost double the size of Loki at the moment. I have to get rid of her due to the move, but so far no one wants to give her a good home.

As for now, Loki inhabits his tank with vigor and aggressivness, always flaring up to say hello when i get home from work. He is quite the specimen, and I cant get enough of him.

summer%2006%20mantis2.jpg

Ill post updates on how hes doing as long as people stay interested (heck, i probably will post updates anyways..... and ill try to get some pics of his new digs soon)

mauis - ya, not too excited about the move, but it is going to be permenent for a few years, so im excited about that!

salty - i feed him mostly hermit crabs and snails, and occaisonally i try to get him some squid or silversides........ hes actually kind of picky, but i dont mind all that much

That is one awesome little guy. Love the color! I would love to start a tank dedicated to one. Very cool!:)

well thanks for the compliments (minus the hawk fish comment ;) ) He was out and about yesterday, scrounging for more food and looking fairly laid back. Cant wait to get the new setup for him!

Back