Long flowing tentacles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kevnkev

Dirona
I'm looking for a new coral for our tank.

We currently have a huge colony of Anthelia in the center of the tank. My wife loves watching their back and forth swaying in the water currents, but I'd like to replace them with something that doesn't spread quite as quickly. We have an anemone and a frogspawn, but she prefers the daintier tentacles of the Anthelia. Are there other corals that show similar movement without being super-fast growers?

I'm guessing we're better off going with a stony coral for the slow-growing aspect, but my knowledge of them is limited to the duncans and hammers. Are there other tentacly species I haven't thought of?

The only problem we have with soft corals like Xenia, kenya trees, etc. is their rate of growth. Are there good flowy softies that spread slowly? How are colve polyps in this regard?

Thanks!

p.s. I'll be posting it up in the classifieds soon, but if anyone is interested in some Anthelia, let me know :)

Torches are a good idea, we'll have to look into them. We do have an anemone, hosting a giant GSM clown. I'm not too keen on getting more anemones, given their ability to wander over and sting everything else in the tank.

Have you looked at the Galaxia corals? When happy, they show similar movement to green star polyps, but they are a LPS. They also have sweeper tentacles that tend to come out for feeding at night or under actinics. Mine is growing happily, but not nearly as quickly as the Anthelia sp.

Goniopora and Alveopora also have good movement (certain species, anyway). My Alveopora is doing quite well and growing happily. They are known to be much easier to care for than Gonis.

Back