long tentacle anenome not lookin so good

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

koyoteturtle

sargasm fish
Hey all,
I've had this anenome for bout a month. Was doing well for the first 3 weeks, had secured itself to a rock and was eating. In the past week it has started to "walk" around the tank. This am I found it next to my Sebae and its' tentacles were deflated and its base had white areas with stringy stuff sticking out of it. What happened here? I moved it back to a cave to watch it. I smelled it..(lol)....and it didnt have the odor of death....Is it goin to be okay? Going to do a water test just to check everything.

75 gallon mixed reef
65 lbs LR
pair of Clarks
pair of Black Percula
Lawnmower
Lots of Coral
1 Sebae
1 Long Tentacle
and 1 mean little damsel

I'm not sure if your anemone is going to be ok. It is suggested that more than one species of anemone shouldn't be kept in the same tank, for aggression reasons. The "stringy stuff" you saw coming out are likely mesenterial filaments.

I'm moving this to Anthony's forum for his input...

Nicky, wouldn't the Mesenterial filaments, the coral's digestive organs, extrude through the mouth cavity or even the body wall in lieu of the foot if it was digesting the tissue of the other anemone?

i'm far from being an expert but long tentacle anemones like sand and if it stays on your rocks ...it's gonna keep moving dood .
I used to have one :cry: (I kept mine for almost 2 years) and it never liked rocks, the few times it moved it'd stay on the rocks for a few weeks but then it'd move again until it'd stay between the sand and a rock.
I don't know about the stringy stuff as mine never did that, ut don't go touching it to much dood.

I thought the LTA was getting hurt by the Sebae, no? and the white stringy stuff was coming out of the anemone (LTA) that was getting injured? I've seen mesenterial filaments protruding out of the base of a BTA before, due to an injury...not because it was eating. I don't have 100% confidence in answering what to do next with the anemone, which is why the thread was moved to Anthony's forum. To me, anytime someone mentions white strings coming out + anemone...I think of mesenterial filaments. Of course, a picture would help determine what is going on.

Okay....so I did a water check and the nitrates were high...I did a 20 gallon water change...and i took some pictures with my phone....not the greatest, but you can see how bad he looks.

WOW:eek: A little worse than the description. I refer to that as a folded anemone. Sorry, I'd give it a one in ten chance of pulling through. If you have carbon, run it!

Nicki was right again!:oops:

Okay....so I did a water check and the nitrates were high...I did a 20 gallon water change...and i took some pictures with my phone....not the greatest, but you can see how bad he looks.

Wow.. Well sorry to tell ya, but whenever I see/have an anemone come in like that at work, I toss it in the freezer. I've never had one come back from looking like that.

As soon as i began moving it, chunks started comin off of it......Still wonder what caused it. Was it because it came in contact with the Sebae? And yet another question, Should I even bother with getting another anenome for my 4 clowns to host in, or is the giant Sebae I have enough for them all?

First get the water back in line. Then figure out if there is anything else wrong. Lastly decide how many anemones that particular tank can accomodate. These are some toxic creatures.

You could try a small hospital tank if you can set one up ?
Like a small 10 gallon with a powerhead and a few small rocks and a hang on filter with a compact power light and turn it upright and make sure it gets lots of flow.

It almolst seems like the bottom was attacked/pocked from something from the 2nd picture/maybe?

Anenomes frequently come in, in poor shape they are know to ship poorly.

They must have the right water flow and lighting or they will move until they get it.

You can sort of forse it into an area. But it will still need the right light and flow to survive.

I dont really see a problem with more than 1 happy (not moving around) anenome in a tank.

After all many people have bubble tip's split thus having more than one !!!

Good luck :)

Paul

you say you have a mixed tank, it has been my experience that anenomes and corals dont mix, when putting an anenome in a tank it should be the first thing in there so it has all the room it needs to find its happy home, then start putting in your corals, and even then it could still move,my opinion dont get another

plack - the issue is when the anemones are not of the same species. Clones wouldn't be a problem with each other, however, two different species would compete. This is one of the drawbacks of mobile invertebrates....you can't guarantee that they won't move about the tank.

anemones are more sensitive and more (chemically) aggressive about being mixed with other anemones or corals than most any other cnidarian.

also... LTAs are rather needy about having their foot buried. Do try to pin it in collar or rocks if you do not have a very DSB (6" or more)

Back