lookin to buy a new camera.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

landyn2004

ok my wife droped my camera in a glass of water somehow and it does not work anymore. So now i need to get a new one and i see alot of great lookin pics on here what my question is what kind of camera's are all of u guys usein?

I use and love a Cannon Rebel Xt. It does have quite a learning curve involved though, if you are unfamiliar with SLR or DSLR cameras. BTW, what kind of camera is small enough to be dropped in a glass of water? LOL Sorry to hear that happened. Hope you're able to replace it soon!!

I've been looking into the digital rebels as well. The most important difference between point and shoot and SLR is the SLRs capability for closeup shots. As I have found its quite difficult to get good closeup reeftank shots out of a standard Point and Shoot camera.

Nikon d40 here. Yeah if you are moving up to DSLR expect to pay a bit for them. A macro lens is a MUST for shooting close ups of your corals.

Nikon, Nikon, Nikon. I have a D70 with four lenses and have used a D40 and D80 and am very pleased with all three. A D40 would deffinately be my first step If I had to start again. also, if your going to get a SLR with a macro lense thn a tripod is a must.

Even though I have a Canon Rebel Xt, I'd agree that the Nikon D40 and D70 are also great choices, as is the Sony Alpha 100. Those are 3 "beginner" DSLRs. With any, as stated above, you'll eventually want to invest in a good Macro, in the 50 and 100mm range. Keep in mind that once you make the jump to DSLR, it gets very expensive. Most lenses will cost you more than the camera...lol. With my Canon, I use the kit 18-55mm, a Tonika 70-300mm Macro and the 50mm 1.8. These are all inexpensive lenses and take decent pics. I'd really love to get the 50mm 1.4 Macro and a 100mm Macro. These are MUCH more expensive.

As I mentioned earlier, there's a HUGE learning curve when switching from P&S to SLR. It usually becomes a second hobby, one that rivals reef keeping when it comes to enjoyment, addictiveness and expense.

Back