looking for a good h.o.t. skimmer.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I hear the AquaC Remora works good. I can't really comment I have a Seaclone that is working great for me. But alot of people don't like them.

Aqua-C Remora works great. Get the 'pro' so you have the overflow on the skimmer cup! You can upgrade the pump if needed. I have a mag 7 on mine.

Agree with the others - AquaC Remora or Remora Pro. You can also get a surface skimmer box that helps to skim the surface of the water. A nice add on feature, but not essential. Here is a link to the AquaC - Remora webpage. You can go to the RF Sponsor page and click on some sponsors to see what the skimmer is listed for. I know Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot have the surface skimmer add on listed on the same page as the Remora skimmers.

hay thanks, not sure witch works better, ventri, type or an air stone type like mine, it works well, was readinf somewhere on hear about a ceramic stone or something like that that was better that wood...wander how many use the air stone skimmers?

Mojo, dgasmd, disturbed reefer, big T and DonW I think (could be wrong on a few) all use airstone skimmers just to name a few. I've heard and read that they are the best type of skimmers

The ceramic stones don't have to be replaced as often as the wood stones, and I think they are easy cleaning. Mojo posted somewhere on the board how he cleaned his. I think the majority of the airstone skimmers on here are huge skimmers. I don't know on a smaller sized skimmer if you get the same efficiency or vastly different efficiency when comparing airstone to other types of skimmers (like needle wheel, etc).

if you take a look at post
#5 at the web site thats the one i have, i was wandering if i went with a bigger air pump and bigger ph if it would work better, also a different air stone

Ahhh...I've seen them before. They are one of the more common air skimmers out there on the market. It may work better with a different pump and airstone. Have you checked out the thread skimming 101? If not, you should check it out. It will give you some great ideas...

from what i have read , and tried to under stand, their are alot of things, that you need to look at in order for the skimmer to work at its best, like with mine, the pump and the air pump where sized for that unit, so it had the proper water flow and air, to work togeather to do the best job... if i go and change things to much, like bigger air pump or ph, it might not work as well, iam not sure.....i know people on here have moded theirs to soot their needs, but i wouldnt know how to...:)

Yep...Hopefully they will chime in soon. I know a lot of members have done upgrades on the ASM series skimmers, but not sure about yours...

daytonaconnecti said:
from what i have read , and tried to under stand, their are alot of things, that you need to look at in order for the skimmer to work at its best, like with mine, the pump and the air pump where sized for that unit, so it had the proper water flow and air, to work togeather to do the best job... if i go and change things to much, like bigger air pump or ph, it might not work as well, iam not sure.....i know people on here have moded theirs to soot their needs, but i wouldnt know how to...:)

I'm not sure if you changed your air pump or airstone, how that would effect the overall performance of your skimmer. You might end up blowing the collection cup lid off and spraying skimmer foam everywhere :D. I don't know if this calculator will help at all, but its worth a look: Skimmer Calculator.

Bill why do you want to change your skimmer? Is it not producing skimmate? The pics you posted of it seemed to show pretty good production.

both are working very well, i was just thinking maybe it could be better...i see people have moded theirs, but maybe thats to their setup

I would ditch the one you have and buy an aqua c remora or remora pro. I used one on my first tank. It is very easy to set up and a great value for the money. If money is not an issue deltec makes a hang on also, no experience with it but if I had to bet on working better I would put my money on the deltec.

Just MO

Brian

sence my skimmer did not come with a air stone i just bought a coralife hard wood one and iam using it now, should i need to worry about the size of the bubbles and the lengh of the stone

Hmmm...You want the smallest bubble size, so a fine pore diffuser, as for the length - I'm not sure??? You will want it to fit properly in the skimmer. Does the skimmer's manual give any recommendations?

Back