looking for a good h.o.t. skimmer.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i just won a remora on ebay, wanted to know if it would do any good to direct the return flow towards the lr, to help clean it off...also it was used and does not come with a pump, should i use a 1200, ?

Last edited:
The MJ1200 is what you want to run the skimmer. I believe that's what they are sold with, if you check some online vendors. You could direct the flow towards the liverock, it might help a bit, but you really want to get in there and turkey baste the LR once in awhile. Be sure to place the skimmer where you will have easy access to it for maintenance purposes (like cleaning the skimmer cup out).

What media are you using in it? As long as the filter pads or carbon (not sure what you have in it) are changed out regularly, then I don't see a problem in using it, too.

it has a filter pad and a carbon pad..... hey nikki i live in indy also, about 5 min from the speedway 500 track

Last edited:
I was thinking that all or most of the big stuff get pushed to the front for easy cleaning,do i really need the skilter/skimmer in opperation with the remora, or just the remora alone, the remora has a surface prefilter box, that i can put a carbon bag in , or what ever, any thoughs

I like the surface skimmer box. It will help with removing the surface film that you sometimes see. While my tank was down, and water wasn't going into the overflow box (mine goes across the entire length of the tank), I could see the film form on the top of the water. My circulation helped to keep it agitated up there, but it wasn't the same. As far as putting carbon in the prefilter box, I think you can do it (the box is baffled...one section for the pump?), but I don't know if I would. IMO, the dirtiest water should make its way to the skimmer, in order to do the best job it can. But, if you don't have any other options, then it might work.

so should i stop using the skimmer/filter and just use the remora with skimmer box or use them both, is their any advantages or disadvantages....

Back