looking for an ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snappy

clever title goes here
I've been trying to get an ID on this coral but not much luck. It has two very different growth & colour patterns.
What do you think about A.kirstyae being a possibility. Page 409 in vol 1 of Veron's C.O.T.W.
aug24025mysteryacro12.jpg

Hi Greg,
The A. kirstyae I've seen in aquariums has much finer branches.
Was this originally a wild coral or was it grown from a captive frag? It appears to me from the photo that the center portion was grown in the wild and the new growth has morphed into a new growth form since being in captivity. The center portion looks very much like A. rosaria. Check out plate #4 & 5 pg. 395 of Veron's COW and notice the similarity of the corallites. Reduced flow will often result in a very different branch structure that over time will make, (especially Acropora) unidentifiable.

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi Greg,
The A. kirstyae I've seen in aquariums has much finer branches.
Was this originally a wild coral or was it grown from a captive frag? It appears to me from the photo that the center portion was grown in the wild and the new growth has morphed into a new growth form since being in captivity. The center portion looks very much like A. rosaria. Check out plate #4 & 5 pg. 395 of Veron's COW and notice the similarity of the corallites. Reduced flow will often result in a very different branch structure that over time will make, (especially Acropora) unidentifiable.

Cheers,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin,
It is originally a mariculture so it would have spent time in the ocean however I have had that coral for a few years and in two different tanks with different lighting & flow. However reticulate evolution can't be ruled out.
It does have a similar look to rosaria but the corallites are much finer than I've seen with a.rosaria before but who knows?

Nice looking Coral nun-the-less..... the new growth looks like the pearlberry, prob same family or place in the ocean..

Back