Looking for info regarding purple tang.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
So I REALLY REALLY want a purple tang. I know they are expensive. I hae a 180 gal tank and the only other tang is a juvenile sailfin.

SO my questions are:

Where can I even find one? They are always out of stock.

Any special care requirements besides nori and a vitamin supplement?

Any Salinity issues/ Health with them being from the Red Sea I should be aware of?

Thanks

From what I've read, they're very hardy. The one I had was very hardy, AND inexpensive!! I got lucky and purchased one from another local reefer, for $40.00. Unfortunately, I lost it when my tank had major issues a month or so ago. It was beautiful and got along just great with the Lavender Tang. Purple and Sailfin Tangs are of the same species so there may be some aggression issues. Mine loved red and green algae sheets and also would gobble up Formula 2 and Grape Caelurpa.

I have mine with my red sea sailfin and the i dont have any problems. You can tell hows boss though as the sailfin is double the purples size.

They have 2 but they are far more mature than I want. I am looking for young. I am also in no hurry to get one until I know everything.

I've owned one before and they are a great fish, but are the meaniest of the genus..if you do get one, it absolutely needs to be the last fish added..with all tangs you need to watch out for Ich, so I would have a hosptial tank ready to treat appropriately.

they are prone to HLLE, so make sure you have good water quality and give OMEGA 3 and vitamin C.

I soak my food in zoecon and vitamin supplement

I have had mine for 3 years now with a yellow, hippo, and powder blue in a 180. The purple was the biggest to begin with and has been pretty low key, the powder blue is the smallest but has always been the most territorial. Your mileage will vary. Just make sure you quarantine, once you see it is healthy and eating you should not have any problems. I feed a diy food of mixed meety seafood and nori.

Thanks for the advice everyone. So he needs to be the last fish added period, or just the last tang? I plan on getting one as small as possible. That way he won't bully anyone (at least not as bad) I was going to introduce him as the final tang more than likley as I don't need a 13" fish lol.

Not only was my Purple Tang NOT the last fish added, it wasn't even the last Tang added. I had no problems at all with mine showing any aggression. It was adult size and didn't bother the Lavender Tang that was added about a week after the Purple Tang. However, my 2 Tangs were not con-specific, which does seem to matter.

I added my purple tang last but I was more worried about it getting beat up by my sailfin. So far there have been no problems so that shows that the purples can hold there own pretty well

personally, it would be the last fish added or else the purple tang will attack any other fish added.

Back