Looking for RO and possibly DI unit,..kinda confused/lost, need help deciding

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

XeoNoX

I'm looking to buy a RO ( Reverse Osmosis ) and maybe ( DI DeIonized ) unit. Im not quite sure what to get, i dont want to spend a fortune but i dont want anything cheap that has problems, i want something of somewhat quality that's gunna last. If you guys can help me decide what BRAND,MAKE MODEL, and how many STAGES and MICRON FILTRATION AMOUNT and if i should go just RO or RODI. The following is a must for me:

1) Must be able to be used as DRINKING WATER (i hear DI isn't the best choice for drinking, but im confused on the subject, maybe i can separate the RO from the DI??? i dunno this confuses me)
2) Will be using for Saltwater Aquarium Fish/Coral
3) Must pump out 75 gallons a day

I purchased mine from Bulk Reef Supply. I did the "build your own" option which worked out really well for me. They also have pre-built setups. I did just the RO, no DI since the water quality is already so good where i am. Mine is a 4 stage, I think. First stage is 5 micron sediment filter, then 5 micron carbon filter, then 1 micron carbon filter, followed by the 75gpd RO membrane. I also had a flush kit (flushes water through RO membrane to keep it working well) and a pressure gauge installed on it.

It is possible to plumb in what your requesting, just takes a bit of planning and room enough under your kitchen sink to accommodate. Plumb in the first part (micron & carbon units) use a "T" with one going to a FW tap and the other with an inline valve going to rest of unit (membrane & DI cartridges)

On wich brands and what type of unit, it depends greatly on what condition your untreated tap-water is in. For instance my water comes in usually at 16-22 TDS and only 1-2 TDS after sediment & carbon and always 0 TDS after DI. I use my 'waste water' in my QT and sons FW aquarium. I could easily get away with just using an RO system but most are not that fortunate.

'DI' units pretty much remove any taste to the water is why its not favorable for drinking water.

Cheers, Todd

i dunno weather to get the one from bulk reef supply or spectrapure ?? im leaning BRS, but i have had 2 spectrapure recommendations and 1 BRS , but i was originally thinking BRS. i dunno what to do? anything specific one better than other? space is not a issue under my kitchen sink and i know how to plumb(ing)

Or you could go to our RO/DI sponsor Air, Water and Ice they have a reeffrontiers code up right now, I bought mine from them and have had it up for years.

Mojo

i have read that A higher TDS will use more DI resin, and this is the part that costs the most year after year. Start with the best membrane possible and the long term expense is less. A cheaper system will end up costing more because you go through the DI resin more quickly.

So based of that on AVERAGE How low is the TDS before it hits the DI Membrane from the units sold at Bulk Reef Supply?

You could set up the RO to drinking water and then add the DI filter after it in line so that you are getting RO/DI for your tank water.
I too am using equipment from Air Water & Ice. Their prices and product and customer service are great.

For an RO system i purchased more on price than anything. As long as it has a quality membrane and quality filters. There really isn't a whole lot of technology built into it. Steel plate, holders for the filters, and some platic tubing =). Personally i wouldn't spend a bunch of money on it. I have been very satisfied with mine from Bulk Reef Supply. I was directed to them from this forum actually =)

I just checked out the Air Water and Ice place. Looks essentially the same as my system, price is about what i paid also. I paid $4 more on BRS and got the pressure gauge and flush kit. Mine also had a 5 micron sediment instead of 10. Either way seems like a good option to me! =)

Last edited:
On the drinking water angle - if you do T-tap it up to a dispenser of RO water on your sink (for tasty filtered drinking water), I also recommend using a small pressure tank. I had mine T-tapped for a while, and the water was just too slow out of the little faucet for my husband to wait to fill his glass of water.. hahaha

If you are throwing out that much cash, I'd try to get someting that is dual membrane. Will greatly reduce your waste water.

Also, the holding tank idea is cool, but it is so small. Seems you might not use it. I have mine going into a 35 gallon rubbermaid garbage can. The storage system on this looks like it is 3 or 4 gallons. Not sure what your tank size is, but seems really small.

When I make water, I usually make 60-70 gallons at a time (so into my 'fresh' water container, then fill the salt water mixing container, and fill the ATO reservoir.)

Anyway, seems like a lot of money for a single membrane system to me.

Have you checked out any of these systems? (I am using the reef miser at the bottom, but there are many good priced systems)

RO/DI Systems

The filters coming with it are pretty cool, but they really aren't that expensive to replace over time. For my reef miser, it is about $20 to replace all the filters.

jrgilles, im ultimately gunna do something similar to your setup, after float valves, check valves, T valves, etc im looking at roughly $320 with dual DI 6 stage. after looking and comparing all those sites, i always need to buy the drinking KIT which adds about another $70 and i also need something to filter the CHLORINE as my city has chlorine in water.
For the TDS meter HM Digitial DM-2, check valve, float valve, faucet, and a 3.2 tank for drinking, normally after i add all that in a 5 to 6 stage it always comes out around $300 (i will get 60 gal from Homedepot later for the aquarium) and if i got spectrapure its even more for just the items i mentioned.

Do u guys think this will work cause spectrapures website it says the filters are interchangeable with other units... (instead of spending 400+ upfront, i pay around 300 for everything i want (6 stage Dual DI w TDS meter and HM DM-2), then use spectrapur filters later) if i buy a cheaper 6 stage RO/DI and then when i gotta change filter just use the spectrapure ones? Thats what i am thinking of doing as it will save me money upfront.

Yup, as far as I know the filters are all standard and interchangable, although I have only ever bought them from one source. Sounds like you have done your research :) gl with the rodi setup.

You planning on installing in your kitchen and running lines to the aquarium reserevoirs?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

You really can't go wrong with anything from Bulk Reef Supply. I just installed my two stage GFO/Carbon reactor from BRS today as a matter of fact! They have great products, and instruction videos on YouTube.

Bulk reef supply it is then with spectrapure filters later, i have come to the conclusion it will be cheapest upfront. Once the filters go out i will replace them with spectrapure's filters using BRS's RO/DI unit.

jrgilles , i was gunna install it in kitchen till i found out i might need to use a pump to shoot the water over to reservoir, so instead i decided to install everything in garage/storage area since sump is out there anyways (i sleep better with it outside). So it will be like this... Sump outside which will be next to 60Gal salt reservoir which will be next to the RO/DI unit which will be next to 3-4 Gal fresh drinking water reservoir, next to the garage/storage fridge that will supply water and ice cubes. ..then Ill use a 5 Gal water dispenser for the kitchen. VOILA (VWALLA)!!!

After 5 days of headache and planning i figured it out!!

Thank you guys for all the help and input!!!!

well i got everything working, after doing some plumbing all 3 days of my new years vacation installing abs and copper piping and running the tubes. The unit from BRS (bulkreefsupply) works great, ill be changing to spectrapure filters when the filters need changing.

Now i just need a container reservoir for the saltwater, I need a minimum 55G to 75G max, anyone have any ideas what to use?? right now since i was in a hurry im using a 44G Brute trashcan, but i really need the the extra 10G, so i need a 55G minimum. Anyone have any ideas for a good one for a good price? so far im looking at Rain Barrel - 75 Gallon - Green

Not sure where you live (I am in washington.) The water here is pretty clean, and the DI resin lasts a really really long time.
Yes, really need to know where you are from.
If you were from Seattle, I would suggest skipping the DI cartridges because the water here is so clean that the RO alone should get you below 1 ppt.

When I ride the train to the airport, there is a place selling used rain barrels. Has a phone number, but I haven't written it down. Maybe someone who rides the train can get it. They had TONS of rain barrels. It was between some of the southern stops, but not as far as tukwilla....

Back