Looking for salt mix recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IPisces

I am currently using Ocean Pure Pro salt mix and I have a batch from them that is high in ammonia content newly mixed. I am tossing over 200 gals of salt mix away. It is all the same batch number and I can’t trust it.
I am wondering what opinions are on other salt mixes? Having a mixed reef, is there specific brands that anyone recommends over others. I am considering either Red Sea Coral Pro, Kent Sea Salt, Tropic Marin or Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

Thank you for you input.

I use the Kent but I have a fish tank. My local pet store also uses Kent and they have 3 good size tanks with corals and one is a 125 display with mostly RBTA and some other softies and they always looks great. I like the way it mixes up and dissolves quickly. I have an ADD problem, which is if I can’t do it in 10 minutes or less I won’t do it. I mix it up in a 5 gallon buckets with a power head in the bottom. Fill bucket with water plug in power head and sprinkle in 3 cups of salt and your good in 10 minutes or less.

I'm a big fan of the red sea coral pro it worked really well for me but I could not find it localy so I switched to IO about a mounth ago

I have been thinking about switching over to this stuff, I have heard some pretty good things about it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/5/review

here is a little excerpt from the product review. to get you interested.
" I knew that once the water warmed up to the same as the tank I would be doing a 100% water change and putting my faith in Bob's chemical mixing and purifying skills. "

I have been thinking about switching over to this stuff, I have heard some pretty good things about it.

" I knew that once the water warmed up to the same as the tank I would be doing a 100% water change and putting my faith in Bob's chemical mixing and purifying skills. "

I didnt notice what the cost was on this, but My concern is, I have a 32 gal container that I mix in and there could be 11.5 or 6.2 or 7.75 gals salt water in it when I start. I fill the container with rodi water and add salt mix. Looks like the B-ionic you will need to know exactly how much water you are mixing to add the correct amount of all 4 parts.

petsolutions.com is a great place for salt. I use instant ocean. To me best of the cheaper salts.

I just got 2 200 gallon boxes. This stuff mixes up really nice, clean, no need to mix for 48 hours (maybe 2 hours at the max!) and the salinity was spot on. If you dont mind mixing 4 parts then this is really easy! I did weight measurement with my digital scale and had no issues.

I got it from Marine depot and it was cheaper than what i paid for my last salt.

Seachem's new Aqua-Vitro Salinity is a great salt mix, if you dont like it just ship it back its guaranteed!

Tropic Marin Pro-Reef here, or Tunze (if you can find it), pretty expensive but I've had enough trouble (or just blind bad luck) with other brands I've decided to fork it over, it seems like I'll pay for it either way (in dead livestock or in salt).

I've heard good and bad for all of them. I found Drs Foster Smith to have the cheapest price with the $9 shipping on the expensive salt like tropic marin, otherwise it is hard to beat Barrier Reefs IO bucket prices.

Back