Looking for some led diy help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltytaste

Hey all I was gonna set up a small simple led light for my 24 gal nano jbj I want to rip out the pcs on the hood and mount them underneath just wonding if someone could help me with a shopping list. Hopefully inexpensive... Thanks all. And if anyone would like to build one too with me that would be cool I dont have experience so I would hope you did.

I'm sitting waiting for a dentist appointment right now but I can help with a shopping list and some theory later tonight. I'm in the planning stages for my LED setup and have done a ton of research.

Just a couple questions.

What are you keeping in the tank?

How high off the water would the lights be?

What look did you want? 12k 14k 20k?

Did you want dimable? If so do you have a controller?

Cool. One site everyone recommends is Rapid LED Home Page

Based on some of their advice for your tank you'd probably want 16-20 LEDs with no optics.

LEDs needed:
6-8 CREE XP-G R5 Cool White 3W LED on Star
10-14 CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3W LED on star

close to $100 in LEDs alone.

You won't want optics since you're mounting them so close.

I'll do some more research but I think you need one of each of these drivers, 1 for the blue 1 for the white:
Mean Well LPC-35-700W constant current driver
Mean Well LPC-60-1050 constant current driver

$44 for drivers

You'll want a heatsink but I'm not sure what dimensions would fit the best in the canopy, my guess is:
5.9" x 9" Aluminum Heat Sink

$15-20 depending on the heatsink.

You'll need some wire:
10 Bulk Wire (Black)
10 Bulk Wire (Red)

Some thermal adhesive:
Arctic Silver Premium Thermal Adhesive

A multimeter for testing:
7 Function Multimeter

You'll also need a soldering iron or access to one and some solder. Also a lot of patience :)

So if you have access to the soldering iron, you're probably looking at around $180 on the high end for all the materials.

Well just ordered my lights went with 10 blue 8 white . I just need to find a heat sink a 5 x9 and about an inch deep I wonder if I can find one at a computer shop

Hey! Check out Frye's they have approximately 5x5 heatsinks with 120mm fans attached for about $15

Todd

Ill check out frys on my way home ... And make sure to take plenty of pictures. Seems like there is a lack of pics of led builds out there . Needs to be a youtube "how to" video

Back