Looking for someone to drill my 50b

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

Hey I'm looking to see if someone can drill my 50b. I have the bits and bulkheads but no drill. I wanna get it done before I have to move so I can put it in storage.

So hopefully after the initial move I can just set it up and retrieve my fish from there babysitters.

If anyone can do this or help me I can attempt to pay you for your time or atleast gas.

Thanks to anyone who considers this

-Devin

Sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet. Not sure which area you live in, but are there any clubs here at RF in your area? Members within that club I'm sure would help out. :)

I live in Seatac, 5minutes from tukwila and Burien, 15 from like the Fauntleroy ferry.

I have a drill press.. Bring that bad boy down here sometime!! Sunday would work for me :) after 1 pm (I'll need to get some aggression out after the hawks face the Saints..)

I have a drill press.. Bring that bad boy down here sometime!! Sunday would work for me :) after 1 pm (I'll need to get some aggression out after the hawks face the Saints..)

I'll see if I have a way to bring it down there, We lost our truck and all I've got is my 88 5.0 hatch :(. So I'll see if I can borrow something. Thank you

Bump :D won't fit in my hatch I tried 1/2 inch shy of fitting. Wanna get it drilled before I move :D

If I lived closer I would offer but it cost me near $20 in gas to go to Sea-Tac and back from Lynnwood.

I might have time next week. Ive drilled more than one tank over the years.

Hey I'm looking to see if someone can drill my 50b. I have the bits and bulkheads but no drill. I wanna get it done before I have to move so I can put it in storage.

So hopefully after the initial move I can just set it up and retrieve my fish from there babysitters.

If anyone can do this or help me I can attempt to pay you for your time or at least gas.

Thanks to anyone who considers this

-Devin

If you have the hole saw for drilling glass just make a clay circle around the place you want to drill and you can use any type of drill. You have to start at a angle to start the grove and then slowly straighten your drill up to level. The hole saw will do the work without applying hardly any pressure. Once you have a circle stared KEEP the drill straight up and down and DO NOT rock it back and forth. If your hole saw is new you can drill the hole in just a couple of minutes. One other note, I always check the saw against the bulkhead, so you do not drill to big a hole. The hole saw should just fit over the end of the bulkhead but not go over the threads of the bulkhead. This ensures a nice fit without the bulkhead sliding around. Are you sure that is not a 40 breeder??? They can be drill bottom or side or front. Always makes sure there is no tag, usually looking down toward the bottom edge or cross brace, that says either TEMPERED BOTTOM DO NOT DRILL, which means do not drill the bottom. If the paper says TEMPERED GLASS DO DRILL, means all the panes are tempered glass and you can not drill it. YES, I do know this from experience :)

I'm going to give this another bump just in case someone can help :D I'm to scared to do it myself. Would like to have it ready before I get a new place to live, so I don't have to move the 36 and then shortly after have to switch em around.

Don't be scared. Practice a little before you start. Find a position that is going to be comfortable to be in for maybe 20 to 45 minutes. You can you a cordless drill, put it on "drill speed" Start the bit at a angle to get it started, not a lot of angle but enough to start a cut. As this is starting to get a little bit deeper start to slowly raise the drill so that you are cutting straight through the tank and not at a angle. You can all so do this dry, without water if needed. They say that using the water will help the hole saw last a little longer. My last tank I drilled I was in a hurry, I could not find my water ring, so I set the tank out on the porch, and pored water from the pitcher over the tank as I drilled it. Wear goggles and hearing plugs, safety first :) If you have to stop and take a break that is ok, just put the bit back in the same hole and raise the speed up to high and continue to drill, remember to keep the drill straight and DO NOT WOBBLE IT BACK AND FORTH TO MAKE IT CUT FASTER !!! This will chip the glass and not cut it. You can place a little pressure on the back side of the drill as your are cutting but do not wobble it. Now take a deep breath and go cut a hole in that perfectly good Aquarium... Make sure it is not TEMPERED glass.

Back