Looking for the best Hang-on Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

will a better protein skimmer reduce the amount of red algae. Because i have a filter skilter( Its crap) and my aquarium is over flowed with red algae?

Help

Won't hurt. I tried a lot of different things to get rid of that Red #%$^@ Algae. Higher flow didn't work because some of my worst was right in a high flow area. What did work was numerous sand vacuums. Daily I siphoned out the sand right where the red stuff was. Then I let the water I just siphoned out sit for about 2 hours. After all the junk settled I poured the top 80% of the water back in. That way I wasn't adding lots of new water everyday. I figured my sand was overloaded with junk. So I just kept vacuuming. Eventually the Red stuff was only in a couple little patches.

Hi,

That red alge sure is a pain I guess when it shows on the base medium embrace it and control it, it seems to be part of keeping marine reef systems,(Got to admit it though theres plenty of tanks out there that aint got it? If you wondering mine has it too)

Thanks thats good to know that its not only mine. Do you clean all sides of the aquarium? Ive seen stores that just do the front.

I clean 3 sides and top half of the back. Can't get to the bottom half in back. I think I have the least flow behind my rocks and yet I never get Red Hair algae there.

red algae is caused by any varying combination of slow flow, high nutrients, high lighting. running carbon and changing it out weekly will help, as well as running an appropriately sized protein skimmer, running a refugium with a macroalgae to outcompete the microalgaes helps, and possibly cutting back your lighting. people typically dont have enough flow in thier reef aquariums, especially down by the sand in order to keep it from flying around(i go barebottom)and that is a problem where cyanobateria and dinoflagellates are concerned. physically removing as much of the algae on a daily basis is required as well.
it is not uncommon to notice buildups of detritus where the algae pops up, detritus removal is paramount to keeping any pest algae in check, the turkey baster is your best friend....
also, you want to make sure your p.h. and alkalinity are both up where they are suppose to be as well, mabye even a little on the high end of the appropriate scale, as that will make life difficult for cyano/dinos.

Last edited:
Could the red algae growth be from our tap water? Im using tap water, could this influence the red algae growth?

I've read a lot from people claiming tapwater will cause more algae. However, that seems like a blanket statement and I'm not sure it is true in all cases. I was using ro/di and still dealing with the Red stuff.

rodi water is pure water.

tap water or anything other then something that comes out of a RODI system with a TDM meter, will give you water with a "unknown" amount of nutrients

thus.
ilimanated 1 possabul reason for growth of "red stuff"

kill the food for the algae and it will die

Hi,

I have red algae and green I use ro water I have a tunze wavemaker and two power heads so confident the waterflow is fine, there is mileage in the lighting period though, red algae does not spread at night so half way there also no red or green algae under live rock in the shade. Im thinking of turning the lights off for a few days not sure what effect this will have but will let you know cant help thinking that there is more to this problem than that though.
Food is fed on the light side to avoid waste, hermit crabs shrimps and bristle worms are no strangers in my tank so they are out and about looking for food daily, all the fish feed from hand green chromis x 6, carrabian blue and yellow tang x 1, clown fishs x 4 and purple firefish x 1.
Interesting comment on the skimmer though I have a prizm hang on and just cleaned it out after I noticed a decline in performance on investigation it was found to be due to sludge around the impeller and I have attributed this to the increase in algae buildup also but unsure why as proteins gather in the upper 1/4 of water.
Ive read about cleaning the red algae out daily but think this is a management process rather than a elimination of the root causes that old maxim springs to mind prevention is better than cure.
I would appreciate your comments on the red algae as Ive been told that this is new tank syndrome but disagree.

Thanks in advance

Hi Marinegeek101,

Apologies i read the comments you typed and answered above but neglected to answer your question directly so see below

I only clean the front as i have thousands of small fan worms on the sides and rear of the tank as well as carolline algae which has just started to bloom in lots of patches at long last. Not sure where these fan worms have come from they are small and white. I plan to leave the sides and rear covered in whatever grows on them as my tank is set within a recess I only have full vision from the front.

the prizm isnt helping, the light thing will help but only temp, as soon as you resum normal lighting the algae, will return,

2 sugsessfully kill the algea, you must take its food away

the prizm isnt helping, the light thing will help but only temp, as soon as you resum normal lighting the algae, will return,

2 sugsessfully kill the algea, you must take its food away

Hi,

You say the prizm isnt helping please explain why Im lucky in that i have a brand new aqua medic skimmer on standby just in case, on the onset of setting up i realized that the size of the tank and the skimmers ability was more than a close match so thought ahead in that respect.
As i said in a comment above the proteins gather in the top 1/4 of water so whats the relationship between skimming and algae?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Skimerwhisperer,

Its the aqua medic multi sl looks almost identical it has the ocean runner 2500pump with it. I installed it last night and done the initial setting only to wake up and find no skimate in the collection cup so just tinkering around, i guess by your online name you know a bit about this kit maybe? if so any pointers as i said before the prizm seemed to be doing the job but after cleaning it, it seems to have lost some of its gusto.
Im at work at the minute but hope to get home to find it cleaning away, i did read or hear from somewhere that they take time to bed in something to do with the newness of the acrylic assumes that the skimate adheres to side in which the proteins almost climbs up collection cup and then slides down into collection area to form the waste? sounds reasonable to me but no expert.
Let me know your thoughts and experience and if thats the skimmer you use how do you find it?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Just thought I would update my last comments, woke up this morning and hey presto skimmer working fine and its really cleaning out the junk now strangely the red algae has receaded also. I cut back even further on the feeding (see above comment) also so not sure if thats the reason why, still no comments regarding skimming and algae relationship guess there aint non then?

Thanks for looking and posting your comments

top skimmer

I.ve been instaling marine aquariums[on a profesional level]for about a year now and my pick would be the coralife needle wheel.Very versitale and easy to adjust,produusing a thick dark skim at a great price.I would go witth the biggest one they have[rated for 220 gallons]since someday you'll probably upgrade and wont have to purchace anoher skimmer.I've put it up against my 800 dollar Barr beckett skimmer and lets just say at about 200 dollars its the skimmer of the year.

Back