Looking for this.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CJG

I am looking for a valve that is on a timer that opens and closes throughout the day. Just wondering if there was someone that knew of how to DIY or where I can find one? A motorized valve or something like that.

Thanks

My company uses GSR valves which are for HD usage.I know they make a number of actuated valves. GSR may be a good starting point.

///UV sterilizer? any luck?

As long as you just want to switch the valve a few times a day, Jandy valves and actuators are dependable and affordable.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been gone for a week. I do appreciate your feedback. I'm doing a little research and I'll get back to you.

If Ican sell my tank I will have a Hayward valve and timer for sale. When do you need it?

What time increments do you need the valve activated?

You could use a simple light timer that uses "Pullouts", some are available in 1/2 hour segments, one of those and a Solenoid Valve would be relatively inexpensive. If you might want to run it through a relay depending on if you can get a S valve in normally open or normaly closed.

A source for Solenoid valves,

http://www.stcvalve.com/

What time increments do you need the valve activated?

You could use a simple light timer that uses "Pullouts", some are available in 1/2 hour segments, one of those and a Solenoid Valve would be relatively inexpensive. If you might want to run it through a relay depending on if you can get a S valve in normally open or normaly closed.

A source for Solenoid valves,

http://www.stcvalve.com/

I'm looking to replicate a current in a very large tank. I would use a surge device but I don't have room for one. My tank takes up too much room. I'd want it to open and close every 3 to 5 minutes so I'm going to need one that can operate a lot. What if instead I got multiple timers and just used all the pullouts for one timer. Then I could replicate prob close to like every 10-15 minutes or something.

In the early 80's I made a wavemaker before anyone even heard of one. I used a timing motor from a washing machine. It as 1 RPM, I soldered a piece of bent musicwire to the gear on it and mounted a microswitch with an arm on it that was wired to 2 PH's. It gave me a 30 second wave action.

You could do this and wire it to to the solenoid valve(s). Timing motors come in a variety of RPMs and can be found for about 5-10 bucks.

I'm not sure how long a solenoid Valve would last switching that often. I would inquire at STC, they seem to be pretty quick on returning e-mails.

Last edited:
Based upon the amount of water you will need to move for your tank size, and the cost for an adequate valve & pump, I would suggest you look into a wave box. It could be something like the Tunze products, or a Carlson style surge system. The latter is pretty easy and reasonable $$ to DIY. Search "carlson surge" and you will find lots.

Consider that the valve/pump will need maint. and eventual replacement into your cost column.....
Good luck,
D

STC is the company that sells the valves, I gave you the link in one of the posts above. I don't have any pics of how I did the switch, it was almost 25 years ago. I'll try to draw up a sketch for you later today or over the weekend.

Back