Looking to change lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

I have a older Nova extreme 8 x 54 watt t5 unit and Im looking at metal halide for the next light. This unit has a single reflector for all 8 lights and is working well as I have acros to leathers in my tank. I'm looking at the Blueline dual e-ballast and Im not sure of the wattage I should go for as I read articles they say the light is more intense. If this was your unit how many watts would you go for. My unit is 432 watts over a 75 gallon with a 3 inch arag substrate and 140lbs of rock in there

Thanks guys! Would that not be even more extreme than the lighting I have now? I have 4 10k, 3 420nm actinic and one 25/75which makes my tank very white and washed colors but growth is very good even with the oregon tort I have.What would be a good light to start with? I was looking at the 15k bulbs to start with. at most place they give you a small bulb choice and three of the choices are xm 10k,15k and 20k along with a ushio 10k.Does anyone use the blueline ballasts?

yeah fattyboy actually has a really good deal on a 75 gallon. i have a 72 and i am going with 2x250 MH or 8 bulb t-5

If you buy two 150w HQI DE MH you will be good on a standard 75 gallon
If you wanted lots of overlay from your lights you can have three and still burn less watts then 2 - 250

Currently testing on my 30" tall tank so far so good my corals are still popin and full of color. Some coral are looking better then under my 90 gallon T-5 lighting.

Rule of thumb for the HQI DE MH is

150w HQI DE MH - Tank depth 24" - 2' by 2' area
250w HQI DE MH - Tank depth 30" - 2' by 2' area
400w HQI DE MH - Tank depth 36" - 2' by 2' area

Hope this helps and saves you some coin

"Rule of thumb for the HQI DE MH is

150w HQI DE MH - Tank depth 24" - 2' by 2' area
250w HQI DE MH - Tank depth 30" - 2' by 2' area
400w HQI DE MH - Tank depth 36" - 2' by 2' area"

HOWEVER--- it seems allot of people eventually want the 20K lighting--- and they want the growth and intense color as well so they get brighter light's in a shallower tank.
Like having 250 watts over 24" deep or even 400 Watt SE over 24"

:)

Paul

Back