Losing my snails

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nitrates are zero, copper was zero but maybe i will try a diff submersible pump, yes the yank has been cycled for 6 months. no other inverts besides hermit crabs.

Have you treated your tank for anything? Current leak and copper getting into the water from a submersible that is going bad? Use a milliamp meter, water to ground to check. Once copper has gone into solution and gets into the live rock, it doesn't always show up in a copper test.

At least your keeping hermits crabs alive. I'm not even doing that yet. Hopefully a month of water changes, keeping the tank lights off so the live rock will start expelling copper contaminated detritus that I can physically filter out of the tank. In conjunction with using poly filters, carbon, and Seachem CupriSorb™ Filter Media; I too may be able to keep hermits live.:cool:

Last edited:
maybe even possibly stray voltage???

I was reading about this on Frontiers months ago... someone had snail issue also.... and it was the stray voltage from something...maybe a power head.

Symptoms were the same ...were alive for a day or so...but bam...all dead.

Are all the snails that are having problems from a recent purchase? What species of snails are they? When I started my first reef tank, I purchased a bunch of Nassarius snails on ebay. They were way cheaper than anyone elses...lol. I soon found out why. They were Nassarius snails alright, but were from temperate waters instead of tropical. They didn't last long at all. Of course if they aren't all from a recent purchase, I don't know what else to say. Have you had a chance to check for stay voltage yet?

They were Nassarius snails alright, but were from temperate waters instead of tropical.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not really a fan of Ebay. Thousands upon thousands of people bought temperate mud whelks based on these people's deception. The most common Genera was Ilyanassa sp. Not only that, many tridacnid clams and more suitable snails had to die in the process.

Back