lost power.. tank down

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That’s a really good idea if you can do that, I wish I had that option.

Almost any generator can be converted to propane. A 100 lb cylinder will run for days on a single fill. Propane is much more efficient than gas. Generator motor will last longer is an added benefit besides not having to maintain the fuel system during the off season. No draining the tank or using stabilizer. Oil doesnt get dirty and the float bowl never turns to varnish.

Don

to answer the question thats been asked a few times - no, you do not want to buy one of those battery backup UPS things for your tank

they do not provide enough continual peak power to run a pump of any size for more than 30 minutes or so - even the expensive $200 ones could only run a koralia for maybe 20 minutes

I lost power years ago when I had my first and only salt water tank for five days. Lost the entire tank. Finally getting back into the hobby....

Yea fun fun fun. I loose power all the time where I am at. Last week we had a big blow and if you can believe my luck, a 70 foot tree snapped in half as me and the wife were walking up to bring the dogs in. The tree came down and just missed my wife by a couple of feet and basically speared here car like a lawn dart (15K in repairs) and then 1/2 hour later the power went down, well off to the generator I went, but damm if I could get it running. ALl that nite and the next day and I still could not get it running. I ended up using my inverter in my truck and ran a cord to a powerhead and stuck it into my tank, and that was basically all their was on it for 27 hours before the power came on. Fun Fun Fun

Mojo

Back