lots of little Anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keene1981

my:?: is what are they . are they bad are good if they are bad can u kill them i have some pic's

Last edited:
They are aiptasia anemones... They are bad as they will sting other corals, and take up "real estate" :p :D

Best way to kill them, in my opinion, is to use joes juice.

-Josh-:cool:

will joes juice kill my mashroom's are hurt the fish. me and a friend are working on a qt but it is not setup

I've never used the stuff, but from what I understand, you don't toss it in your water like you would something like a calcium supplement. I hear people saying they use a syringe and inject the aiptasia with it so nothing really leaks into the water to talk about....Atleast that's what I gathered from my reading here. I'm sure someone will confirm:)

Yeah they are aptasia, I have had to deal with plenty. Joe's Juice is the best. I have heard that you can make your own with a real thick slurry of kalkwasser. You use a syringe and shoot it onto the "mouth" in the middle. It just withers up and dies.
-chris

if u use joes juice u dont have to use much and it might make surronding corals shrink for a couple of days
there is also peppermint shrimp that will eat it and butterfly fish but they can nip certian corals like trachphyilla the best thing is the nudibranch that eats them
best of luck

No need to use anything other than hot water. Bring some water to a boil and use a baster or syringe to squirt about one once right on it. You can use more to make sure you get it all. It will "melt" instantly. Will not harm fish/caorals or anything else in your tank.

i will try the boiling water. i like word melt it sound's fun .i do not see alot of nudibranch at my lfs i will try to find one thank's for all the help

Not all nudibranchs are aptasia eaters and even the specific Bergia Nudi will not eat Majanos (the type you have)

http://www.saltyunderground.com/faq.htm

Brendon's Hot water trick works GREAT as does Joe's juice. Be sure to hit only your target. If the pest is touching a friendly, use Joe's. If it's in the clear by an inch, nuke with hot water. It can be a lot of fun. I found that a dental hypo with the bent tip works best since it requires the least ammount of hot water and will get into any hole. Everyone has their own preferences. Go for it!

Just looked at the picture, Skimerwhisperer you are absolutely right. Shrimps can work great for Apt.. Not each peppermint shrimp go after them, but have heard most have great luck if they get two or three. They teach each other by example? :>)

Pep's also farm the big ones, eat their tentacles off periodically, and eat the baby ones. I have some real old adults but no new ones to speak of.

aptasia no doubt,

dissagree with the peppermint shrimp. i have 2 they dont touch it.

agree with the "joe juice" = Melts instantly if used right

I tried boiling water on a few and it worked great, but the sad part is I didn't know there was a hole in my rock right by the anemone that went through to where a crab was eating and he got torched too.:cry:
I have learned to be more carefull.

Tim

I've had six peppermints and have yet to find one that would eat them. So I'm holding out on the copperband in QT.. :)

Will try boiling water, have used Joe's but it seems messy (like me) and I get it in the tank more than I'd want

Back