Loud clicking coming from my tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carl8232

the last couple of days i have noticed a loud clicking coming from my tank. i was wondering what could be causing this and if i need to do anything to correct it. i remember reading some where that it could be a mantis shrimp. how do you tell if this is the case and if it is do i need to try and get rid of it or should i not worry about it?

Thanks for the advise

Scott

if its a mantis then it can kill small fish gobys, dragonets etc.
although i hear randoms clicks every now and again and ive never found or seen a mantis shrimp, u could have a pistol shrimp there loud but arent any trouble
wel just a bump sure sum one eles will chime in

they make traps for these sort of things, i have never had one though, i've heard of pistol and mantis shrimp as well making clicking noises, hope it's a pistol

ok so my fish have started to disappear I have lost 6 of them so far they have been disappearing one per night. Here is what i have left in my tank. 3 peppermint shrimp, 5 mollies, 1 chalk bass, 1 fairy wrasse, and 1 emerald crab. I don't think any of these would be the culprit. The only one that might would be the emerald crab but I was under the impression they ate algae. Any advice on what to do from here help. I have already given all of my live rock a freshwater bath this did not turn up anything and I lost my Rainford goby since then. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott,

I don't think it is your emerald crab. Something is definitely killing your fish and my guess is a mantis shrimp. As somebody mentioned earlier, they do have traps for these guys. Do you think it came in on your live rock? If so, where did you get your rock from. I ordered some rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater once and it had quite a few mantis shrimp.

i did get a pice of rock recently and i'm sure that's how it got in. i got the rock from one of the lfs. i talked to them and they said that they had never goten a mantise before. something about how the rock was collected. it was left on a dock with freshwater constantly spraying it. they said that the have gotten a few rock crabs. they also said that it was more likely that i got a pistole shrimp with a rock crab. i have been trying to catch what ever it is with a trap but so far i have only cought my emerald crab.

Thanks

Scott

Your secret killer came hidden in a tunnel in your new rock, Happens often.

I had great luck using a speargun to get preditor shrimp. Better than traps. Started feeding the killer oregon shrimp (coctail shrimp) for a couple of days. Then made a pole spear out of a wooden dowel, a seing needle, and a rubberband taped to the dowel back end and the needle sticking out of the front end. The shrimp meat is baited on the point and the spear is held cocked and baited. When the pest comes for dinner, he discovers that he is the first course. Worked great.

Hmmm well I'm not the largest fan of mantis shrimp but for one to kill 6 over a 6 night time span seems excessive even for a mantis. I could be wrong here but I didn't think they ate that much. Maybe you have the Tsavo lions of the mantis world? How long has the tank been set up? Perhaps you have other issues such as high ammonia or just aggression in one of your fish.

Yea that seems like a lot of killing going on, are you finding bodies? Is there still loud clicking noises? How are your water parameters?

I would agree with btuck, I think there is a jumping of the gun here :D This sounds like maybe a disease problem also.

Herefishyfishy said:
Your secret killer came hidden in a tunnel in your new rock, Happens often.

I had great luck using a speargun to get preditor shrimp. Better than traps. Started feeding the killer oregon shrimp (coctail shrimp) for a couple of days. Then made a pole spear out of a wooden dowel, a seing needle, and a rubberband taped to the dowel back end and the needle sticking out of the front end. The shrimp meat is baited on the point and the spear is held cocked and baited. When the pest comes for dinner, he discovers that he is the first course. Worked great.

Hey, got any pics of your handy invention there????
It sounded like a clever idea to me for those that have the patients.....like me.
:evil:

PRESTO2345 said:
Hey, got any pics of your handy invention there????
It sounded like a clever idea to me for those that have the patients.....like me.
:evil:
No picture of it, and it is long gone but here are the detailed directions for a "Hawaiian Swing Mini-reef Pole Spear" Copyright 2006

Tape a strong large rubber band to one end of a 1/8-3/8 inch wooden dowel at least 12" long. Poke a sewing needle into the end, pull it out and insert the eyelet end ( the not pointy one) into the poked hole of the dowel preferably without running it through your hand. Shoving it against a solid object such as a table or wall works best.

With the rubber looped over your index finger, pull back on the dowel and hold firmly in your hand. When you release the pressure, the spear jumps forward VERY fast. One can spear anything in the tank that one's morbid heart desires. (be sure to say a prayer for the recently departed denizen)

I have found that baiting the needle guarantees the target gets close enough to not have to be as concerned about the aim.

Good hunting,

Tank Diver Mike
(scuba tank, not aquarium)

Back