Loud Sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Matthew

I have a 90 gal reef tank that I changed the overflow box to a CPR. I up graded my pump from a Rio 2100 to a Mag Drive 90, my problem is the loud noise of the water rushing into my sump. I use a berlin acrylic pre-filter with a sock. I am looking for suggestions to help quiet this set-up down. The old set-up was nice and quiet.

Well I have just spent a long long long time doing just that for a customer with a inwall 90. Ok I had to increase the size of the cpr to the one with two 1" pipes I wrapped the overflow and return pipes in the rubber insulation I got at lowes. I changed the return pump to a quiet one 3000. I set the sump on the 1" styro house wrap. Its quiet now. The loudest thing in the system is the tunze for flow. And I now have a Tunze rock to take the powerhead off the wall of the tank so it wont transfer noise as well. Its as quiet as I can get it.

First question: Is your return under water? Water will silence noise a little. You could extend return under water with piece of pipe. A lot of time water noise is created by distance water falls.

Yeah, I would put it under water. I had a similar problem when I added my CPR. I had a straight pipe going down and it cause a bit of gurgling so I put an elbow on it and extended the pipe a bit and now I hear nothing...I have a picture somewhere to show a before and after. I'll see if I can find it incase it may help.

Thanks for the info. My sump is a 20 long and only has about 6'' of water in it. I don't have a chamber in the sump so if I do this I need to figure out how to keep the air bubbles from getting into my return. Do you think drilling holes into the pvc will work or do you suggest cutting holes. How many cuts did you make?

The best way to get rid of bubbles is by adding more baffles in the sump (which they call a bubble trap) or some people use sponges or filter floss to catch the bubbles before it hits the return pump. HTH

Hmmm...Not sure about where over there. I guess whoever sells Aquaclear filters will have a big block sponge for their 400 model.

It would cost about $10-$15 in plumbing supplies, but if you were to just stick a zig-zag or two in the long stright sections of the drain pipe, it will REALLY drop the noise in a big way from the decrease in velocity of the falling fluid.

Also, if anybody wants to make a totally silent overflow, make a large expansion area near the bottom, like 1.5" or 2" drain tube into a bell reducer up to 4+" tubeing for a 8"-14" section of tubeing. At the bottom of this 4" pipe, use another bell reducer to drop the size back to the original tubeing size, or even slightly smaller. Make 2 90deg bends in the tubeing so it curves back up parallel with the drain tube. End this tube about 3/4 of the way up the section of large chamber.

Kinda bulky, but totally silent, at least on the lower end. To make the upper end silent, a simple U-bend as soon as possible from the point it drains will do the trick.

If you need diagrams or something, let me know and I can sketch them in paint.

Now that my noise problem is over I need to figure out why my Skimmer is not working like it did before putting the pipe under the water in my sump. Is it because of all the air? Let me know what you think..

Back