Love hate relationship!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bosco83

I really like my black and white clown he hosts his anemone and looks good in the tank. The hate part is he attacks me every time I put my hands in the tank lol. I know he is just a little clownfish but he really bites:oops: and it scares the crap out of you and makes you jump. Well it didn't use to be such an issue because he is so aggressive I would just stick my left hand in the tank and when he would try and attack me I would scoop him up with a net with my right hand. Well now he has gotten a lot smarter and it takes me sometimes up to 40 minutes to catch his dumba$$. So I was going to clean my tank real quick before the nice soft algae gets too hard and takes a lot more work to scrape off, but I can't catch him and I don't want to spend all night trying:evil:

Sorry for the rant any ideas?

Brian

A bigger net.....

I caught two clown fish out of my 210 in less than ten minutes yesterday. Theyre about one of the dumbest reef tank fish when it comes to hiding.

Get him a mate?
Or remove the enenome. My old pair of maroons were nice as could be until I added an anemome then the female became very territorial and mean. After I removed the RBTA, she could care less again and was nice to me.

Clowns do not need an anenome to host.

Or remove the enenome. My old pair of maroons were nice as could be until I added an anemome then the female became very territorial and mean. After I removed the RBTA, she could care less again and was nice to me.

Clowns do not need an anenome to host.

Yea I know I like him and the anemone enough to deal with it but it's still a real big pain in the butt.

A bigger net.....

I caught two clown fish out of my 210 in less than ten minutes yesterday. Theyre about one of the dumbest reef tank fish when it comes to hiding.

+1
They "hide" in the top corners of the tank and pretty much swim into the net, lol.

I agree with removing the anemone if you want him to stop being so aggressive. My black and white male did the same thing to me. It does startle you when they do that even when you know they're going to do it. I moved the anemone to a different tank and he stopped biting me.

I have a pair of osc clowns and the male attacks my hand non-stop. For the first month or so I used to jump, but now I just take my beatings. I don't have any issues with my female as she just comes up and just rubs on my hand... While she is near me, she chases the male away. I think he's just jealous :)

My clowns have to wait in line to bite me, it's my Yellow Tang thats gets first dibs. He is like a cleaner shrimp when I put my hands into tank, but will actually bite and tail slap me when I start to remove bubble alge or scrape any coraline off. The clowns have just started to seriously prep for spawning so I may need to get those full arm gloves soon or just take the beating.

Todd

My clowns have to wait in line to bite me, it's my Yellow Tang thats gets first dibs. He is like a cleaner shrimp when I put my hands into tank, but will actually bite and tail slap me when I start to remove bubble alge or scrape any coraline off. The clowns have just started to seriously prep for spawning so I may need to get those full arm gloves soon or just take the beating.

Todd

LOL, You better watch out for that tail slap. One of these days you'll get the scalpel side of things and be bleeding.

I have a large tomato clown that bites all the time. I hate him! Always seems to catch me off hard. Tried nets, traps, flicking him with my finger. I am just about ready to use a size 18 fish hook. He's goin in the sump till I find a new home for him or live out his days sump bound. My rbta used to split 2-3 times a year until I added the clown. Now it is 24" across and has not split in 4 years, and I never feed it.

LOL, You better watch out for that tail slap. One of these days you'll get the scalpel side of things and be bleeding.
Yah no doubt. I was looking at the spike on my blue tangs tail yesterday, and that suckers at least a half inch long. He could really do some damage.

Yes Duane I always have a bit of fear that its going to get me sooner or later but so far just the tail. On the other hand he doesn't hold back on my large forceps and I can hear the "tink-tink" sound from his scalpel hitting it, once again only when using it for grabbing bubble algae. If I pop them he'll take them from the forceps and eat it. So my clowns finally laid a dozen or so eggs this evening then she promptly ate them. Maybe if I let her bite me a few times she would gain some parental values and guard them instead... haha

Todd

Haha! I feel your pain! I had two domino damn-sels in my tank from the previous owner. The larger of the two would bite me non stop! He was lightning quick! It didn't really hurt but it startled the heck out of me. My son and I tried to net them for a coupla hours, then got smart and purchased a two liter bottle of coke. Cut the neck off just large enough to fit the fish, cut the bottle in half just before it starts to slope at the top, inverted the top and viola a cheap fish trap. It took 5 minutes to catch both fish!

They are just trying to protect thier house from intruders! But the Aqua Gloves are just a good idea for your protection. Most fish can nip just to check it out and see if it is food. If you end up with a pair of clowns and they lay eggs then they can be REALLT protective.

I used to flick my clown when he would bite me I was more worried about my eel biting me then the clown and the eel never opened his mouth to me I can place my hand in the tank and he/or she would flow through my fingers my clown would have me jumping and a couple times scream as my eel hide in the rocks at first. that was with out an Nem. with a Nem it was just all the worst lol it was a tru perc

Man, my maroon bites me every time. It doesn't hurt but it does startle me which usually causes me to react and knock something over. This would lead to more hand time in the tank to reset the damage and start the viscous cycle all over again:)

Back