low calcium problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FeedMyJones

Psycho WHAT!
I have added both dry and liquid calcium to my 300 gal tank but cannot get calcium readings over 350. Alkalinity is also low but PH is high. I have added additional Magnesium and Strontium but no luck. The water looks slightly cloudy as if all the calcium is not dissolving.

You are observing presipitation from failed balance of the minerals. Unless you have a massive amount of calcium consumption from clams and SPS growth, best to not mess with the chemistry as it can lead to BIG problems if not die-off. Hard to beat good water changes and leave the mix to the scientists. I am happy with my Kalk reactor with my ATO on my growth tank.

My original problem is that SPS corals, particularly acopora, die off within a week. Soft corals seem to be doing well. I converted this 300 gal fish only to a reef tank. I added T-5 actinic and 10,000 Kelvin bulbs. 4 fixtures each holding 2 bulbs. Then I put 3 400 watt halide fixtures over the top. I thought that the SPS corals would love this environment and grow as well or better than in my 3 year old 65 gal which has actinics and 2 175 watt halides in a combined fixture. Unfortunately, what should be a great SPS tank isn't. I noted that the calcium and alkalynity levels were very low although the PH is at the top of the test color chart. A 40% water change brought the calcium op to 450-475 but had dropped to 350 in less than 24 hours. There isn't much in the way of corals, maybe 6 soft coral frags a few Ricordia 3 larger softies and a nice sized anemone. No calcium hogs. I added some magnesium and strontium when I added powdered and 2-part liquid calcium. I did this because adding calcium didn't raise the calcium level above 350 - 375, a 25ppm increase at best. I thought that precipitation was the problem and that whatever is causing the low alkalinity and calcium levels might be responsible for my SPS "failure to thrive" problem. I'm grasping at straws and reading books and on line information but so far I'm stumped.

If no calcium hogs, would stick with water changes and ignore the test kit which could be bad. Adding Mg will depress Ca, and pretty soon on a dwindling spiral. Keep it simple and let the tank mature with as few changes as possible. The corals will settle in and take off.

Just for good mesure if you are interested, please list off all water parameters, flow level and from what, if use RO water, how frequent water changes, type filtration, and anything else including inhabitants. Pics are helpful.

One think to remember, corals do not like lighting changes, Going from 175s to 400s will bleach out almost any SPS, untill it goes back to brown and THEN starts to color back up.

If all else fails, perhaps somebody could swing by and take a look :>/

Which test kits are you using for calcium, alkilinity, magnesium and pH? Are your kits past theri expiration dates?

Also, how are you measuring salinity/specific gravity?

Gary

Back