Low KH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nasher8860

BANE
So My KH keeps dropping in astronomical amounts(lol). I cant seem to get it to stay somewhat level I find myself adding buffer at least 3 times a weak to keep it up. Any suggestions...

Well to fix a kh problem the most helpful info that you can share would be a accurate test kit for calcium and magnesium. If mg is low kh will act wierd and if calcium is to high kh will act weird.
Also need to know what kind of salt your using and have been using. What additives and wether you are using a co2 reactor, dripping kalk with vinager or without. Tell us more about your tank please.

I also would like to see what your other parameters are. Salinity, Ca, Mg, with the alk value....in addition to the other items Steve has listed out. We'll see if we can get you in the right direction.

nasher8860 said:
So My KH keeps dropping in astronomical amounts(lol). I cant seem to get it to stay somewhat level I find myself adding buffer at least 3 times a weak to keep it up. Any suggestions...
I would agree with what the others have asked for. Do a complete set of water tests--temp, SG, ammonia, nitrate, pH, dKH, Ca, Mg, and Sr if you have it. Again, a list of supplements (if any). Something you might also try would be testing the pH, dKH, Cal, and Mg on a daily basis. Log it down and any supplements or anything that you do with the tank that day. See if you can find a trend. Please run test results by another experienced reefer (or post them) to make sure you are not missing anything.

Anne

Ok....will do it after this weekend, sorry for the post and bail, but I'm heading to Santa Cruz for the weekend will got right on top of it when I get back... Sorry again..

Thanks for being patient guys..
Ok when I got back from SC I did my normal change...mind that I've been keeping my Kh up a little(I've been battling cyano).
I also have been using Coralife salt for the past couple of months

11/21/05
readings before change: KH-8
Calcium-360
after 10 gallon change: KH-8
Calcium-390
*add cal and kh buffer

11/22/05

KH-12
Calcium-435

11/23/05

KH-11
Calcium-420

*add cal. buffer

11/25/05 (got a magnesium test kit)

KH-10
Calcium-450
Magnesium-960(ohhh a little low)

Ok this is the logging Ive been doing the past week. Ive got a pretty simple setup: overflow,sump skimmer, return. I have no reactor or anything, real easy and simple.
Oh and Im gonna mention that when I pulled my old skimmer the hoseclamps I had been using had started to rust..I dont know if this effects parameter stability, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

-Nash

nasher8860 said:
Thanks for being patient guys..
Ok when I got back from SC I did my normal change...mind that I've been keeping my Kh up a little(I've been battling cyano).
I also have been using Coralife salt for the past couple of months

11/21/05
readings before change: KH-8
Calcium-360
after 10 gallon change: KH-8
Calcium-390
*add cal and kh buffer

11/22/05

KH-12
Calcium-435

11/23/05

KH-11
Calcium-420

*add cal. buffer

11/25/05 (got a magnesium test kit)

KH-10
Calcium-450
Magnesium-960(ohhh a little low)

Ok this is the logging Ive been doing the past week. Ive got a pretty simple setup: overflow,sump skimmer, return. I have no reactor or anything, real easy and simple.
Oh and Im gonna mention that when I pulled my old skimmer the hoseclamps I had been using had started to rust..I dont know if this effects parameter stability, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

-Nash
What was your water temp. It seems like you are doing a good job--my suggestion is that you keep it up and log---log---log. I would do thorough water testing every other day and write down pH, temp, SG, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, dKH, Cal, and Mag.

When you get a couple of week's worth of logs--see if you can see any patterns. Any constant highs or lows. If you can't see it--then post it and see if somebody else can.

HTH

Anne

Back