low light clams?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes there is but depending on how much light you have. I am running 4-96watts P/C's over a 45gal tank and the only clam I have is the one that starts with the D (word) i am not good with latin so excuse me.

i was planing on running a a 24 inch 65 wattsingle linear strip with a 10,000K lamp over my 20 gallon waould that be enought light?

Always nice to hear from the Clam Man himself!!!! Thanks for helping out Barry, got to love a site that has such a wide variety of people willing to help out those of us that haven't been in this addictive hobby for very long.

Helps us not to make some simple mistakes

can maxima survive under 72 watts of 50/50 pc 4 inches from lights on a 20 gallon?

I would go with a brown mantle maxima. IME. With you 20 gallon tank, also watch the salinity, clams don't like alot of swings.

We must not forget about the lovely, underated Steamer clams! :) They are'nt much for looking at but they sure eat allot of crap ;)

I have been keeping manilla and short neck clams common in grociers for several months now. They live in my refugium/sump where much of my particulate matter settles.

Always good to see new people joining the community. I myself am only 2 yrs old :)

Tell me more. Ive seen these in the grocery and often wondered how they would do in a tank. How much light do they need? Any special feeding? I actually had a thorny clam in a fish only several years ago. I have heard that some clams will not live if not exposed at low tide. If so which ones? i would not want to buy the wrong kind. After all low tide only happens once a month during water change! I would appreciate any advise. thanks

Back