lowest temperature for mixed reef tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I believe inverts and corals can deal with temp swings better, but Lee Birch in her forum stated this ;http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27191&highlight=temperature+drop+fish

From that post;

"Some interesting information and things to know:
a. A sudden drop in temperature as little as 2F in an hour can cause a marine fish mucous coating to sluff off or improperly function. This causes the fish to become sensitive to infection and diseases it could otherwise fend off. This is the reason why fish who go through a drop in temperature suddenly become ill or infected. A small drop in temperature is significantly far worse than a small rise in temperature."

When Lee spoke at the PSAS meeting in March he suggested that we try our best to keep our tank paramaters stable. He stated that balanced paramaters in our tanks are more important due to all the other variables that aren't perfect for our fish. In the ocean the water paramaters are optimal for the fish compared to our tanks and in the wild a fish's diet will be better. When you start combining different stresses to a fish in a home aquarium these stresses combined will be detremental to our fish's health. So I think that if we can keep our tanks temperature stable and at a reasonable temperatrue then we'll be able to eliminate one easily controlled stressor on our fish.

thanks for the post gloo, good read, i guess the fish cant run to warmer water when they need too.

Bottem line and the safest bet, all science aside.

its safest for your tank to maintain one certain temp

I'm not sure what temp this is in Farrenheit, but mine sits at 24 degC in winter and goes up to 25.5 degC after the halides come on, and it sits at 27 degC in summer and goes up to 28.5 degC before the chiller kicks in.

Ofcourse there are no wild fluctuations, these changes take alot of time. Also i don't really know if these temps are bad but i have never had a problem doing this.

Back