LR and Coraline algea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tsuyoshi

I only have about thirty pounds of rock in my tank, as I am working with a very small system (29 gal.-though i think i'm going to a 90 or 100 after the holidays!) the first fifteen lbs. i got from a friend (who has since left the state) and it is lovely! the rest of the rock i picked up later and it was rather unimpressive. can i promote the spread of the pretty coraline to the ugly rock and, if so, how?

-J

Just aquascape the new and old together and the corraline will spread .:)
Scott

Yes, and monitor your Alkalinity and Calcium(although coralline will spread even with mediocre calcium levels). Depressed alkalinity, however, will stunt coralline algae growth.

Best,
Ilham

An urchin will really help it to spread rapidly as well, as long as the above mentioned params are in line...GL :D

well, i've been curious about urchins for a while, but wasn't sure how it would go with everything else, or if it would survive.

you mentioned depressed alkalinity. where-abouts should that be for proper encouragement of the algae?

definately informative (and certainly rambly :D )

my tank is a year old (it's birthday is tomorrow actually!), though, and i've never seen a bit of CA on the glass of my tank, more or less a dime-sized area, which was quoted as an indicator for the safe introduction of coral...

i don't know the status of my alkalinity, but i'll hit up my LFS this weekend to see about testing it. *shrug*

Back