LR Curiosity Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Eventually rocks will fill with detritus and phosphates in all but the lowest-stocked tanks. How long this takes depends on your stocking level, filtration, feeding and water movement. It might take a year, or it might take ten years. It's also not true that cooking rocks in the dark will turn them into base rock. As long as you're using fresh saltwater (which you should), and you have plenty of flow (which you also should), you'd be surprised at how the coralline can take over in a nearly dark tank. Coralline algae doesn't like light; but it craves flow, calcium and alkalinity. I've had almost bare rock come out of cooking completely covered in purple and green coralline.

Clayton

Purhaps I can shed (no pun intended) a but of light on it. Biological filtration in LR and sand as we know is performed by bacteria reducing elements. The problem is that biochemical reduction is a very slow and not to effecient a method, vast numbers of baterial populations are required to perform the task, something we can not achieve in our tanks. According to the number put out reduction studies and supported by the perponents of sand systems (dr.R) they can only provide filtration for a very small bioload. I believe the conclusion was 2 to 3 small fish in a 100 gallon tank with a 6 inch bed.
With the bioloads that the mojority of us have in our tanks and the feedings we do, the result is a slow loosing battle, where the input of elements far exceeds the output. LR unlike sand systems does have an advantage, Because of it shape (no botton and side to constrain it) and through bacterial action (creation of enzymes, blooms, die offs and so on) and gravity, LR will shed its end products and detritus.
With the concept of cooking your LR is not so much that it is now in the dark, what it truely is, is that we are now stopping all input of nutrient/elements. This is basically allowing the bacteria to catch up and turning the table on the input/output of food to it. When doing this procedure you are not removing any of the so called beauty of any specimens nor are you turning the rock into base rock, actually you are returning the rock to more of a functioning peice of filtration and stopping it from being skewed into eurthropic and thus becoming a nutrient producer.
The method is not done in the aquarium either, normally the person takes out a peice or two and cooks them in a seperate container while the tank continues as normal. Personally I lack the patcience for this procedure and just remove a rock, place it in a pot of boiling fresh water and allow vapor transmission to remove all nutrients and lifeforms (yes yes I know what an evil man) once done I put the LR back into the tank. Yes all the life with in it is dead and I have lost filtraion from that particular rock, but I have also introduced a peice of LR that is wide open for occupancy by bacteria with out compitition or saturated with nutrients for bacteria and all other life forms, also the surface is now perfect as a seed surface for corraline algae, dusters and so on that do not have to compete for a spot to grow on with others. Again this is something that should only be done when all other methods have been exhuasted.

MIke

Nicely put Mike (as usual). Thanks for adding your "2 cents"...Always appreciated. I need to let my wife read this so she would get off of my back about loading my tanks with fish(LOL). I usually only like about 4-5 fish max ever and never really big ones. Thank you also everyone for your input. Made a greath thread for me personally as I learned a lot. If you guys have some more good points to share, I'm all ears...

Yes when boiling the rock on the stove it is very very important not to let it stick to the bottom, and when you drain it, then add the cheese sauce, two tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Dont for get some great mix ins like bacon bits, broccli, green and red peppers spice of a simple dish of live rock and cheese.

I'll eat it! Shoots, good healthy food sends me to the bathroom so why not a bit of cooked rock! Can't be that bad(LOL)

good thread - I learned a lot. I just got 50lbs of LR for $50 (killer deal). I don't really need this much LR right now, b/c I just have a 55 gallon which is already pretty full. But, of course I bought it anyways b/c I'm thinking about upgrading to a bigger size tank and as I mentioned already it was a killer deal.

Anyways, the LR came from an established tank, very nice large pieces full of holes, but the prior owner neglected the tank a bit and they had hair algae all over them.. So, I was going to put them in a large food grade trash bin (brundt)and hook the trashcan up to my existing system, but I think after reading this post, I'm going to take a different route now.. I think I'll leave it solo (not hooked up to my existing system) and instead run a heater and a pump in the trash can and leave it in the dark for a few weeks. Then, do a complete water change maybe once or twice and then, slowly introduce a few pieces at a time.

What do you think - This is probably the best approach right?

Last edited:
So, another question... Hopefully I didn't make a critical error here (but wouldn't be the first time)

How critical is temperature anyways? I ask b/c I had all the LR out of the water for transport to the house, then when I got home, I put in the trashcan with water that wasn't the perfect 79 degrees that we usually keep our tanks at. It was more like 64 degrees when I put it in there. Would this temperature shock and kill every living thing in there or is this bacteria pretty hardy? I imagine it slows down the growth of the bacteroa at a minimum and 79 degree water is probably the best, but do you think I will suffer any ill affects b/c I put it in colder water intially?

Last edited:
The temperature probably only retarded it. Excuse me, I meant the bacteria is now handi-capable... It will recover within a few weeks.

i cure mine with the lights on just to get the corraline growing again....i don't think it kills the rock to go without light..there is all kinds of life deep in those cracks!!!!

Back