LR Falling Apart

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

I have had my tank running for 6 months now and I have noticed the some of the LR is crumbling. Is this natural? When I use a turkey baster I also notice that some of the rock crumbles off also.

Should this happen? Good sign/bad sign? Or something that just happens?

To me it's like dry chalk It will snap but wont deteriorate untill you wear at it kinda hard but anything dead lying atop will blow off . and others are harder that that not softer from what I know and have seen.

very odd my rock is tonga and I have it in alot of tanks. I think it does start to deteriorate after a long time in the ocean. Was yours hard and solid when you got it or was it soft like that when you got it?

Is it soft and crumbly everywhere to the point it barely holds itself together or only in some area's. I ask because I have heard of boaring clams and I am sure ther are other burowing animals that live in rocks and eat away at them but i don't know what they are thats just a logical guess :)

idgy was your rock cured or uncured when you first put it in the tank?

rock crumbling

Increase your alk to about 14 and your ph to 8.4 keep your ca at about 400-420. was the rock live when you acquired it? sometimes rock in it's homewaters will be exposed to the air, etc for a long period of time then become submerged again and take on new lifeforms. do not blow off this rock.try to encourage coraline algae growth this will greatly reinforce your rock. make certain your magnesium is at sealevel strength or a few 100s higher.

it was uncured! I will try that rugie, thanks!

idgy - what I have found with my own rock....and I don't know if it is the case for everyone that cures their rock, but if you have boring sponges that died during the curing process, as they disintegrate, the parts of the rock with the sponge (now gone) will be left with nothing holding it together. The rock will just come apart at those places. My $0.02.

I have had both shells and dead coral skeletons gradually "disolve" in my tank. I assume it is because of bacteria creating a locally-lower pH. No proof of the cause, but while they (the coral skeletons and empty shells) are gradually disappearing, the live corals (mostly M. caps) are growing.

I've had LR fall apart on me myself. Infact, I have pics at home of where it looks like I'm using rubble for substrate in some areas. It never actually just broke off though. It only crumbles on me when aquascaping otherwise it stays whole. I agree with rugie about promoting coraline growth as the stuff seems to be pretty hard and strong. The only problem is coralline usually takes forever to grow and I'm not sure what kind of deitrification etc you would get from a rock totally covered in coraline. From what I've seen, the stuff seems to almost seal the rock...I could be wrong though.

dnjan said:
(the coral skeletons and empty shells) are gradually disappearing, the live corals (mostly M. caps) are growing.

I have the same in my tank, with regards to the empty shells and skeletons. Maybe bacterial enzymes causing the breakdown? I imagine with snail shells there is some P in there the bacteria would like to get to.

Coralline isn't going to completely seal up the live rock. There are so many pores within a piece of live rock, that it would be very difficult for that to happen, IMO. The bacterial processes within the rock and on the surface will help to keep the rock processing and shedding detritus.

Coralline isn't going to completely seal up the live rock. There are so many pores within a piece of live rock, that it would be very difficult for that to happen, IMO. The bacterial processes within the rock and on the surface will help to keep the rock processing and shedding detritus

Sounds good...

dnjan, from what you are say it appears that your water column may be mineral deficent. it takes many months or close to years for shells and coral skeletons to dissolve. would it be possable for you to test all usual water parameters? do you dose iodide, strontium & molybdenum?

rock falling apart

It is logical to assume that the rock was damaged prior to you receiving it. this is not uncommon, usually crediable dealers will not sell this degraded rock. but your statement about the coral bones and shells dissolving indicates a possible serious problem in your tank (serious to me anyway) the enzyme theory has some merit, so a probiotic may be needed to eradicate them. do you now have coralline growing? if you can post all parameters.

I wouldn't put anything in my tank that would harm bacteria. Even if there was bad bacteria (whatever strain that might be) I don't know of any antibacterial agent that would target only one type of bacteria without harming other bacterial strains. With regards to my post, the shells and skeleton aren't really dissolving, as much as they are becoming degraded over an extended period of time. Acros and Montis are growing quite well, and so much coralline the back and bottom of my tank are almost solid purple and pink. Why would the breakdown of shell and skeleton be something serious? When there isn't an "animal" making it grow any longer.

NaH2O, it appears you are not comprehending the posts, are you saying that if you have a disease or other "bad" condition in your tank you would not add anything that would compromise your good bacteria? how then would you correct the above problems? anyway, it was not suggested by anyone that an anti-bacterial agent be used.please go on the web and check out "pro-biotics" then perhaps you will be better equiped to comment. and there is a difference between the words dissolving and erroding, of cource erroding is natural and expected, but dissolving that can be "seen" would not be natural. sugar dissolves in water, but it's structure errodes when damp. your last post reads "not really dissolving", that is not what you said the first time, had you said erroding I would not have stated "serious" condition, perhaps when a person offers help we should monitor our proposed help so as not to cloud the issue thereby really helping the thread starter. heavy coralline growth depleats the water of minerals ie: ca, mg, etc if the minerals are not replaced the coralline stops growing and dies, and its dissolving structure puts minerals back into the water to be used by lifeforms. the bacterias sold as cycling aids are selective bacteria their presence in the tank degrade "bad" bacteria to the point that they become non threatning.

Back