Macnaxx

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MACNAXX

I posted something on the main General Discussion Board (thinking I was just talking to you guys) about the upcoming MACNA XX conference. Please look at it and let me know if there is anything we can do to help you if you are planning on attending. Thanks!

Steve

Great! My wife is from Seattle (and is chair of MACNAXX) and is bugging me to get as many of you web-feeted people out here as possible. She really misses the area.

Steve

I would love to see it. We will actually have a talk on how to apply to get MACNA. People from the past few MACNAs will be there to answer questions.

I would love to see it. We will actually have a talk on how to apply to get MACNA. People from the past few MACNAs will be there to answer questions.

Yes so would I!!!!!
If possible I would help do whatever I could to help bring it out here.

How hard would it be to get a MACNA in Pacific Northwest?

I think I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago and got stomped down pretty hard. MACNA is put on by clubs, backed by MASNA. I attempted to bid on MACNA X back in the day, but Los Angeles won(last time on the west coast). It takes several people with a 2 year commitment to make it happen.

I haven't looked at the MASNA bylaws and rules for MACNA lately, but the board would have to be interested first.

Jon

The application is due around February each year. We started planning in 2005 with some smaller conferences to get our feet wet. A good core group of people, an accessable airport with relatively cheap fares for a large group of people, and good hotels and you got it made.

Let us know if we can help.

Steve

I have been Interested in bidding and have talked with some BOD members from past MACNA's, but we do not have the commitment level needed from the PSAS at this time. We are struggling to keep interest in the local club as it is.

How about a group effort from all clubs in Pacific Northwest? A nominee from each club to represent this idea. I just love the idea of everyone getting together. I hope this topic stays hot. All clubs acting as one working together to support a idea.

The first year we had get a get together in Tri-Cities it was called the Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Conference. We had a person from Spokane helping, A person from Idaho helping, A person from Montana helping, even people from Oregon helping, Seattle people helping, of course Tri-city people, we even had people come down from Canada.

Though I'm not a member of PSAS yet, I can offer my experience. I've worked extensively on planning the Skagit County Highland Games for about 10 years, and have put on a slew of other activities as well. I am definitely dedicated to setting up and designing functions of this nature.

Count me in! I didn't get Macna X, but learned a lot from the experience and would try again. I kept waiting(9 years) for PSAS to get big enough, but a group effort could work. I'm tired of being told it won't work and I think MACNA X in Los Angeles was the last West Coast Macna.

Jon

How about a group effort from all clubs in Pacific Northwest? A nominee from each club to represent this idea. I just love the idea of everyone getting together. I hope this topic stays hot. All clubs acting as one working together to support a idea.

The first year we had get a get together in Tri-Cities it was called the Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Conference. We had a person from Spokane helping, A person from Idaho helping, A person from Montana helping, even people from Oregon helping, Seattle people helping, of course Tri-city people, we even had people come down from Canada.

Here is a little Bump. How many BOD members of clubs in West are willing to work together to make this happen in future? I hear it takes up to 4 years of planning.

I am not sure if it can happen or will happen. I just want to know how much interest there is in here?

HeyEd,
Not on the BOD of Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Society at this time anymore, but I bet you can find one that is and would like to work on it. I'd love to help if I was still active as a club BOD member. Personally I would still help out if I could. Would love to see something out here on the west coast, mainly in the Pacific Northwest.

Post the question in our forums, www.pnwmas.org

As I said, I'd love working extensively with this. I've been involved with the Skagit Valley Highland Games for about a decade, and I'm more than likely managing a campaign for state legislature starting in January, but this sounds like a great project to be working on, as well.

Macna Update....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A MACNA teaser - our main banquet speaker....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joanne Ruxton

Behind the Scenes as a Underwater Wildlife Producer for the BBC

Joanne studied Zoology at University and moved to Hong Kong in the 80's. She joined the World Wildlife Fund Hong Kong in 1990 to establish their Marine Conservation Programme; a significant task in a place that had no legislation to protect the coastal waters and where massive development was taking place before the handover to China. After four Marine Protected Areas had been set up, she joined the BBC’s Blue Planet team in 1997. Since that time she has been involved in numerous underwater film projects.

Prior projects include:

Blue Planet
Deep Blue
Death on the Reef
Deep Trouble
Live from the Abyss
Under the Skin - Antarctica
Under the Skin - Penguins
Smart Sharks
Shark Roulette
Shark Coast
Dive to Shark Volcano