macro algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Welcome to RF keeper...I see your from my neck of the woods..
I think the benefit of trimming it is removing nitrates but I could be wrong..
nice.. same time posts weird..

I rip out a big double handfull of chaeto every week. It grows like mad in my tank. I have 2x 65 watt bulbs over the top of a 20 though. Removing it removes nitrates and phosphates.

by macro I would guess you mean caulerpa algae, this algae is problematic. it goes sexual and breaks down flooding the tank with toxins and the stored up trates & phos. you would prune when new growth is about 8" long and you can remove up to 1/2. amount to prune depends on how much you feel you need. when possible old growth is removed rather than new. if you pinch the stems tween your index finger and thumb nail there will be no bleeding.there are better choices than caulerpa. ie chatomorpha,graceleria, ulva etc. they do not go sexual and not as growth rampant. they are pruned much the same way.

Last edited:
I have been to John's frag sales and have picked up a couple of pieces from him...he's got a pretty cool setup... I don't know if youv'e been there or not but he has huge frag tank in his garage, split into like 3 diffrent tanks. IMO the Frags he sells are good for the price but take time to grow if your looking for a cool piece I would just spend the extra cash for it..he's really nice though.
I actually work at Aqualife in Rocklin..just started there in early september.....really cool.

You do. I likw your store. Alittle pricey at times. I bought and alvepora from aqualife a couple of weeks agao. It is taking its time opening all the way.

Back