Macroalgae preferance

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijiwigi

I am going to add macroalgae to my refugium this week and am wondering what you all use for your refugiums and why??

Also what are your other refugium contents Deep Sand bed? live rock rubble? Hermit crabs? Detrivore kits??

Last edited:
I will offer the cliche answer of Chaetomorphia, I have a huge chunk of it rolling around int he sump. It grows fast and usually sticks to the sump area, but is easy to clean up if it escapes into the display.

There are lots of other types however, I am sure more people will chime in soon!

Chaeto doesn't really look like a plant to me more like grass or Hair. Why is it that Chaeto is so popular because it is easy and problem free? Are there Macroalgae's that do a better job of absorbing Nitrates and such? I know there are others that are more pleasing to the eye for sure.

I like caulurpa Profilia. I hate chaeto because it won't stay in one spoy it always get stuck in pumps and it is a pia to get rid of.

Chaeto is so great because it's a good nutrient exporter, non aggressive and, for most people, very problem free. Caelurpas can also be great nutrient exporters but can also become quite aggressive. They can attach to any substrate, which Chaeto won't do, and once attached, Caelurpa can grow quickly and over grow other things.

I agree with Krish about hiding the "ugly" in the sump/refugium. That's the proper way to use a Macro Algae as a nutrient exporter anyway. Other macros that are more pleasing to the eye have the drawbacks of being more aggressive, requiring supplementation (as with Halimedia needing Calcium) and having the ability to tenaciously attach themselves to anything and everything, including your corals!!
On the other hand, the "planted SW tank look" can be very nice. I have Halimedia growing in my 75. I recently removed most of it from my 46. I have to regularly "weed" it out though. I do dose Calcium, Alk and Mg for my corals and clams. Without dosing, Halimedia will quickly consume these elements, which are needed for coral health and growth. I've also got some Feather Caelurpa growing in a 10 gallon Pod tank that I'd love to have in my 75, but my Yellow Tang likes it too much. There's also Eel Grass, which is a true plant, not an algae as it has a root system. It's somewhat hard to find though. I don't know a lot about it's care, even though I also have some of it growing in my 10 gallon. Once I get a large enough spread of it in the 10, I may try planting some of it in my 46.

I say Chaeto also. Many types of calurpea will grow faster and have better exports, but they have the down side of being able to go asexual. Chaeto does not.

Kim

I say Chaeto also. Many types of calurpea will grow faster and have better exports, but they have the down side of being able to go asexual. Chaeto does not.

Kim
Caulupa profilia has never had a report of going sexual. That is why I use it. It also doesn't get caught in pumps. It is east to clean up and it looks alot better then chaeto.

A true refugium should be pleasing to the eye. Most people put a refugium section in there sump for the benefit of the macroalgae. But a dedicated refugium should be for observing the refugium life. Granted mine is in a sump I can still open the front door of my cabinet to check it out and stare at it if I please. I probably wont but its a nice thought. Grape Caulurpa(spelling probably wrong) From what I understand wont go sexual if it has 24/7 lighting and is trimmed weekly and can also be planted into the sand. Either way I am ok with the extra efforts I just want the better nutrient exporter of the 2

Back