Magnesium and calcium reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FreakinReefin

Insert idiot comment
I have my ARM fine chop media going right now in my reactor and have noticed that the magnesium levels in the media are pretty low...1050 I think it says. I know that the media itself shouldn't be supplying the tanks magnesium supply in whole; however, is there a good way to incorporate some magnesium in the reactor itself to help boost the output? Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I have Brightwell dry magnesium powder and was thinking of maybe tossing a little in to see how it acts or something along those lines.

I was just talking with sunlight supply about this and they were telling me that brightwell, I think that was who it was, or carib sea had a magnesium product that you add to your reactor so it doses with the calcium. I was going to purchase some in a few months when I was ready to refill my reactor.

You can use Brightwell NeoMag 1 part to 8 parts of your ARM media in your CA Reactor, if I remember the ARM part right, it should be on the label

I started using the NeoMag for about 6 months and I love it
You need to get your mag up to where you would like it and get it stable.

Last edited:
I was just talking with sunlight supply about this and they were telling me that brightwell, I think that was who it was, or carib sea had a magnesium product that you add to your reactor so it doses with the calcium. I was going to purchase some in a few months when I was ready to refill my reactor.

Brightwell NeoMag can be added at any time. Just make sure you use it 1 part NeoMag to 8 parts of media, if I remember the ARM part right, it should be on the label

Brightwell NeoMag can be added at any time. Just make sure you use it 1 part NeoMag to 8 parts of media, if I remember the ARM part right, it should be on the label

yep your right. I am just lazy on that part as I hate taking my reactor apart. so I was going to do it at the same time. Yes I do believe it was 1 to 8. thanks for the info

If you have a fluidized reactor you cant use powders. Most are just dolomite and can be had at most home centers.

Don

Suplementing is the only way to go

I have my ARM fine chop media going right now in my reactor and have noticed that the magnesium levels in the media are pretty low...1050 I think it says. I know that the media itself shouldn't be supplying the tanks magnesium supply in whole; however, is there a good way to incorporate some magnesium in the reactor itself to help boost the output? Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I have Brightwell dry magnesium powder and was thinking of maybe tossing a little in to see how it acts or something along those lines.

Talk to Barrier Reef, they have the Brightwell course adative for the reactor. But I recommend adding 1/3rd of the recommend dosage. My tank OD'd and took 6weeks to drop it down from 1900 to a stable 1450. Remember that your Arag is still imparting some mag too and not zero. It's easier to add than to remove too much.:idea:

Is there any reactor media that will provide this boost in magnesium? It would be great if it would all just come together...:doubt:

Media provides balanced Mg but if your consumption is lop sided or you have loads of precip it will always fall short. It easier to add extra Mg to your water changes. Also take a look at your water change water and make sure it has enough Mg to begin with, IO does not.

Don

Media provides balanced Mg but if your consumption is lop sided or you have loads of precip it will always fall short. It easier to add extra Mg to your water changes. Also take a look at your water change water and make sure it has enough Mg to begin with, IO does not.

Don

I use SeaChem Aquavitro Salinity salt and it states the magnesium is around 1336mg/L...decent I guess, however I wouldn't mind having it up in the 1500 range.

Couldn't hurt, plus it will help with any algae growth and give me that much more time in between replenishing it.

You get that high its only going to precip more. If your going through it as much as it seems I'd question precip rather than consumption. 99% of the time with a carx the average heavily populated sps tank will stay good to go.

Don

Back