Magnesium supplementing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You said 120 fluid ounces. How does that equal out to ounces of actual epson salt? Is liquid ounces the same as actual ounces of espon salt? Just wondering how much epson salt it would take to raise your mg.

On page one of this thread returnofsid posted a link to a calcultor. you enter your water volume and type of mag supplement you are using. for me it was saliferts liquid. give it a try.

Epson salt is a crystalized form, so it would most likely take LESS epson salt than using a liquid, seeing as how most liquid supps. use alot of water in their products.

Check the reef calculators to see how much you want to add. Its really easy and REALLY helpful...:cool:

28oz of epsom thats 1.75lbs.

Don

Epsom salt is magnesium sullfate...so remember you are going to be adding a ton of sulfate to your tank at the same time...not such a good thing

Mike

wheeeww..

Right on Mike

People....
Remember what your adding to your tank. Most of the additives you get in liquid form have a ton of other stuff that you may be over looking. For one- sugars. Bottle may not state it but I bet its there.
As Mike said Epsom salts= sulfates
If you start adding this stuff to your tank in high volumes we may be seeing you on the "how to kill algae" threads.

Am I totally out of line??? Correct me if I am.
I have a tank to prove what additives will do to your tank over time.

wheeeww..

Right on Mike

People....
Remember what your adding to your tank. Most of the additives you get in liquid form have a ton of other stuff that you may be over looking. For one- sugars. Bottle may not state it but I bet its there.
As Mike said Epsom salts= sulfates
If you start adding this stuff to your tank in high volumes we may be seeing you on the "how to kill algae" threads.

Am I totally out of line??? Correct me if I am.
I have a tank to prove what additives will do to your tank over time.

There is really nothing "wrong" about using epsom as long as your doing waterchanges. On the other hand if your doing water changes Mg really is not a issue and easily maintained with epsom, mag flake, nigari or what ever else you can get your hands on.

Don

true Don.
But what happens as we all know is people start to get lax on the good ol water changes.
They see the outbreak and then freak out.

the only point I was trying to bring up is the additives you get in those bottles. Use them wisely and enjoy the view.

I guess it would go back to the old marble/element story of salt water, lol. If you are putting in x amount of lets say sulfates then what are those sufate ions displacing??

Mike

I guess it would go back to the old marble/element story of salt water, lol. If you are putting in x amount of lets say sulfates then what are those sufate ions displacing??

Mike

Probably another reason to raise mg via water changes. But since were on the subject of mg. What are the salt makers using to raise the Mg and Ca level of salt?

Don

The thing that sticks in my mind is "fish pee". Fish pee = water changes
I just have to keep telling myself (on a 55gl.) KIS

What are the salt makers using to raise the Mg and Ca level of salt?
Well these days that seems to be the 64 million dollar question. The best way to figure that out would be to look at the ISP studies, then just check the elemental levels for the salts studied. For me If I just had to raise the level of Mag a little bit the Epsom wouldnt be so bad, but I dont think I would want to do it all the time. Mg chloride is a better route. If yo mag is way out then yes for sure water change your way out of it. Best way is to make sure your wc water is at the right levels prior to doing a change then your in better shape. Most reefers will always need to suppliment ca, alk and mag. so this is where a good ionically balanced formula additive stand out. For the insane sps type reefer you with kalk, reactors and so on

Mike

Back