Magnesium testing and magnesium test kit reccomendation.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

frameguy

I just set up my 55 gallon reef. I have nice mature purple crusted live rock, and i plan to start adding some LPS and shrooms, ricordea. I am using c balance, and I hear I need to supplement magnesium. What magnesium supp. and test kits do you reccomend? I have ordered phosphate calcium, and alk test kits from salifert. Thanks for any feedback!

magnesium hanna checker! digital readout! no matching colors! and is cheaper in the long run by only haveing to replace reagents! and anybody here that uses them will tell u there pretty darn accurate!!!! my 2 cents lol but serious tho look into replacing all ur tests with hanna instruments.

oh and use bulk reef supply's 2 part for dosing and there magnesium. good stuff comes in a packet and u mix in a 1 gal jug. depending if u buy a pack or not they will send the mixing jugs and a measure cup. and they have a calculator that is super easy to use on their web site. u put in ur params and they tell u what and how much to dose. good luck! "BUT I MUST SAY WITH REGULAR WATER CHANGES U SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DOSE A 55G TANK!!!" just my thought opinions and rants. take it what with u will lol.

I use the RedSea Mag test kit and for supplement I use Kent Tech-M. Both great and kit is very accurate :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Hey thanks Hawk, I have a large bio load so I plan on 15 gallons Water Changes every 2 weeks, and I am running phosguard in a new fluval 306 can filter. I must say I ran Eheims for years and the fluval with a TOM surface skimmer is quiet and a joy to use for pre-filter as I am running no sump this time. So for ricordea , mushrooms and Hammer or other LPS I shouldn't have to dose with C balance? or just not have to dose magnesium. Thanks for feedback!

Best Magnesium supplement I've found over the years is Magnesion by Brightwell. The test kit I use is ReefStatus Magnesium test kit (includes Carbonate and Borate (Alk) tests). I will add here that since I started using Sea-Lab No. 28 for my slow release Calcium the Mag holds better (longer).

aja, would be interested in Senji's reply as I do not know of a separate hanna checker for Mg...there is one for Ca (I have it), but would like one for Mg too..

I use Bulk Reef Supply magnesium and elos test kit but I've heard good things about the new RedSea test kit and Hanna test kit.

Api reef kit.
Hanna checkers r great but I've never used em.
As for dosing, I'm dosing seachem 2part or aquavitro line. Made by the same ppl I think but a step up from basic seachem products.
Hths
D

magnesium hanna checker! digital readout! no matching colors! and is cheaper in the long run by only haveing to replace reagents! and anybody here that uses them will tell u there pretty darn accurate!!!! my 2 cents lol but serious tho look into replacing all ur tests with hanna instruments.

Where did you get your Magnesium Hanna Checker? I didn't know these were available yet. I use the Alk, Calcium and Iodine and they ROCK! I use Red Sea Pro Tests for Nitrate and and Magnesium (and they are the best available next to Hanna IMHO) until I can find those from Hanna....

Thanks!

Tobe,

re-read Senji post..there is NO Mg hanna checker available...I am waiting for them myself as I use the PO4 and Ca...

Those of you using the calcium Hanna checker. Are you able to get reproducible results? I got mine a while back, and the numbers never seem right. I have an api and a salifet that I run in conjunction, but even back to back tests from the hanna using the same syringe for sample don't ever match.
To the original question, I use an elos kit for mag, and brs two part. I just switched from kalk in my top off though, so, can't speak to how 'happy' I am with it, other than its more stable this way...

i have a calcium hanna checker and to be honest do not use it that much...the steps are soo much that I rather use a Elos test kit for calcium...the only reason I do like the HC is for the digital readout...

I'd love to be able to trust the Hanna. Just not there yet, and I don't know if I'll get there the way its going. I have been eyeing the red sea kits though because of the hardware. I always feel like I'm at least one hand short when testing. They may have fixed that... even if I just use their hardware with someone else's reagents . (I have'nt read reviews on accuracy so I don't know if the tests are worth it, but its possible the hardware might make up for it)

i love and use their PO4 checker frequently..i wish they would make a Mg one, i would buy it.

Back