maiden's hair transplanting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
i have some maiden's hair algae covering some zoanthids, and they're usurping all the light from them, i'd like to keep the algae as it's a cool kind but want it off the zoanthids, in short, how do you go about transplanting?

hmm have you tried pulling it ?
if i was you i'd try with some twicers (you know those thingys that women use to get rid off the hairs on their eye brows :p) i did that with my grape caulerpa and it work pretty good but i'd do it in a bucket of water so that way it doesn't go spreading everywhere :p .

I'm sure someone else will give you better ideas though :).

Ive never had madiens hair, but can you get under it with a razor or exacto and peel it back?

perhaps but it might be hard with all the zoas there, i'm wondering if the roots actually supply nutrients or if it's just an anchor, cause then i could pull it then glue it down

I'm not an algal expert (by any means) but if it is a true algae then it has no true roots like plants. What resembles roots on algae are nothing more than structures to help anchor the specimen to a substrate. In my opinion, ripping them would not impair the nutrient gathering capability whatsoever.

Back