Majano Anemone Outbreak

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FishBoyNB

Hello All -

My 55 FOWLR tank has been pretty much taken over by Majano Anemones.

Have been able to stay on top of the Aiptasia, but the Majanos have spread like wildfire.

I'm to the point where I am going to set up two more tanks. One to put the fish in during the clean-up and one to put the softies in during the clean-up.

My question is, without having to dose every little anemone individually with Joes Juice, or whatever homemade remedies are out there, is there a way to kill them off? I'd like to eradicate them as efficiently as possible, i.e. mass killings.:?:

I've considered freezing the live rock, thawing it back out and letting it go through the process like I would if I received live rock that had a lot of growth on it from a store, basically, puitting it in SW, running a skimmer, it smelling bad for a while, and then hopefully having the live rock back minus the anemones.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan

Do you have a crock pot? Run a couple of loads through it. If you have a covered area outside you can set it out there to cook. I sympathize with you.

i think butterfly fish will eat them, copperbands are popular cause they're reefsafe i believe, if you're going to seperate them any butterfly with do it i think, though copperbands are on the more difficult side i think

Thanks for the suggestions.

Had a Copperband for a few days, but the Sailfin Tang was beating the crap out him, so he went back to BS.

If I were to get a Raccoon, would it be best to put him in the problem tank alone to work on the anemones?

Thanks,

Dan

becarefull,,,,,,!!!!!raccoon will eat all your zoos,brain,hammer,frogspawn,candy cane and anything has the polpyp,not rec for the softy and lps ,i had it in my sps tank no problem at all.

If you boil all your rock you will start over with dead rock again and it will kill everything if your gonna do that you might as well throw it away and go buy a bunch of dead rock

If you boil all your rock you will start over with dead rock again and it will kill everything if your gonna do that you might as well throw it away and go buy a bunch of dead rock

What would you suggest be done in this case? I figured there must come a time, when to be safe, you have to take drastic measures to get things under control like boiling rock. I've had to do it before in order to rid my tank of a certain problem I couldn't control otherwise. I'm thinking if I had a tank full of mojanos or aptasia that were so numerous I couldn't get rid of them all by using Joe's juice or other critters/fish, I'd probably boil the rock to make sure I got them all. All you need to do is miss one and in a few months, you'll be back to where you began before. Who knows the extent of the mojano's in this tank. If it were just a small few, I definately wouldn't get into boiling rock, but tons and no other way of controlling them and you may as well basically start over because you couldn't place any other corals in there without them being stung anyways...

I really appreciate all of the feedback.

I think what I'll need to do is evaluate the individual pieces of rock and deal with them on a rock by rock basis.

The stuff with "good" things growing on it will obviously need to be dealt with more delicately. The base rock, I can be a bit more blunt with. My main concern regarding the "good" live stuff is one very large, extremely healthy leather. I do not know how to get the leather off the rock safely, so I think I may need to leave it on the rock it's on in the current tank and take everything else out. Then I deal with the anemones that are on that one piece of rock with Joes Juice. The other stuff I can freeze, boil, or put into a separate tank with a raccoon and let him have at it.

I guees we'll see what happens.

Thanks again,

Dan

I had a huge majano problem a few years ago. I finally went on a killing spree with Joe's Juice. It took a couple of follow ups for the ones I missed, but it worked pretty good. Now I do it every couple of months and they stay under control pretty well. The first time I killed at least a thousand. took about an hour. Was a lot easier than I was expecting. I tried a copperband, racoon butterfly, & nudibranchs but they would not touch them. I have a fox face too, but he does not like them either.

You could take the bad rocks out and juice them in another tank so you could get all the sides. Mine looked like a carpet on some of the rocks.

I have an outbreak too, and have found that microwaving the rock effective and satisfying. Let it dry for a few minutes, and when you microwave, the wet things (like anemones) will get more microwaved then the dry rock. A few I did seemed to kill the anemones without killing the coraline. It's a tight line to walk though, so you will have to experiment.

P.S. Dont do it when your girlfriend is around. :)
Chris

Back