Major arctic storm comming in. Warning!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

King_Neptune

Skimmer Skuzz
As you might have noticed...the winds are picking up. And the cold is coming hard. This is bound to affect a lot of us. A major cold front is due to hit Monday.
Our family prepping by shutting off all the water to our external buildings(my aquarium room included).

This is the time to prepare extra water and count on power being cut off.
Fuel and generators need to be on standby, and if your pipes freeze, it would be prudent to have water ready to go.

Snowing and windy here, in Spokane. 22 degrees with a wind chill of 18. Bbbbrrrrrrr.

It's definitely time to plan for the winter occurrences of power outtages. Here, in Spokane, we don't have a lot of outtages, but the outlying areas do, when we have a big wind storm or a huge snow load. Having a plan, ahead of time, can save a lot of livestock and relieve a lot of stress.

Last edited:
Okay, here's another word of warning. Generators can be hooked, directly to the breaker panel. DON'T do this!!! There is a way to do it safely. If not done correctly, the generator will actually send power back out into the power grid. Several years ago, here in Spokane, a utility lineman was killed, by power going back out, into the power grid, from a home generator.

Okay, here's another word of warning. Generators can be hooked, directly to the breaker panel. DON'T do this!!! There is a way to do it safely. If not done correctly, the generator will actually send power back out into the power grid. Several years ago, here in Spokane, a utility lineman was killed, by power going back out, into the power grid, from a home generator.

Amen sid, great words. Being in the utility field, we appreciate when people like you think like that.

if you hook it to your breaker box BUT you MUST have a main breaker to disconnect the entire house from outside power
ITS THE BIG ONE ON TOP OF YOUR BOX if you dont have this DONT HOOK IT UP!

if you hook it to your breaker box BUT you MUST have a main breaker to disconnect the entire house from outside power
ITS THE BIG ONE ON TOP OF YOUR BOX if you dont have this DONT HOOK IT UP!

Exactly!!!

There are devices that will automatically trip your Main Breaker, and then kick your generator on, though they're a bit expensive.

The crazy thing is, if a generator pushes power, back out to the power grid, as that power goes through the transformers, it's magnified to a much higher voltage, the reverse of how power actually gets to our homes. So, using the generator incorrectly, has the potential of creating many thousands of volts, out on the grid.

Nothing in Bremerton... Usually we end up missing the snow because of the mountains directly to the west of us... Still, it would be nice to get some snow!

I just got an e-mail update from Wunderground.com that says there is a winter storm warning for Monday thru Tuesday afternoon. Damn am I lookin forward to this or what.............................lol

Over 2 million watts

Try to stay warm Sid use all that electricity :D Sending 270,000,000 watts to avista right now :shock:
37 no snow in Eastern Or.

Snowing and windy here, in Spokane. 22 degrees with a wind chill of 18. Bbbbrrrrrrr.

It's definitely time to plan for the winter occurrences of power outtages. Here, in Spokane, we don't have a lot of outtages, but the outlying areas do, when we have a big wind storm or a huge snow load. Having a plan, ahead of time, can save a lot of livestock and relieve a lot of stress.

Snow is falling in Bothell..Big flakes..

I hope this will not impact the roads tomorrow as my son is having a medical procedure tomorrow at Seattle Childrens.

Back