making rock wall

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

heres only two months
march6002.jpg

Is there any special epoxy to use? Does anyone know if Lowes has it or some where close to Spanaway that would carry the right epoxy.
Thanks

i just bought some at hobby town USA today, lows does not carry it as i checked there as well as home depot. its alittle pricy but its the right stuff to use.

Thank you, I already looked at home depot but this will save me a trip to Lowes. I will look up hobby town and find a close to me.

south center blvd right by famous daves and best buy and that huge strip mall.

looks cool. I an thinking of doing a wall in my next build. Thank you for the good picks and the step by step. It will help me out.

If you need a lot of epoxy, I used the west systems epoxy on mine. I got mine at West Marine in tacoma.

I keep hearing about "great stuff" breaking down, but I haven't seen any issues in my tank. Some of the stuff from my previous tank is in my sump and I can't pull it apart. I never coated it in epoxy either. Out of curiosity I cut a blob of it open out of my sump and it was full of critters. I suspect to some extent it can function at live rock over time.

As for strength. This arch is over 4' long and hasn't had trouble yet... took 2 of us to put it in the tank.

031-1.jpg

I just started a full back wall for my replacement 240 and got the becketts pond foam just from what I had heard but it also says will break down with uv rays but with epoxy and sand I think I will expire before it does. not to mention it seems I rebuild the tank for some reason every 3-5 years or so. I am not to good with build threads as I am busy and dont really keep up but I will try to post some here and there of progress.

do you guys have any updates on pics of your tanks? this is really intersting to me and i am thinking of doing some things like this for my new tank i am building.

opps and any advice on building tips. also i know this hasnt had any recent post for a while so please dont flag me as i am asking and honest quetion

My advice would be to go far more wild than you think you need. Overhangs, arches, nooks and crannies. I used eggcrate as a base, than zip ties and other things to get everything in place... then spray foamed the heck out of everything and cut the excess off with a kitchen knife.

a little outdated of a pic, but you get the idea..
034-4.jpg

033-4.jpg

DSC07668.jpg

the arch on the left is over 4' long and nothing but a little spray foam and some eggcrate

Are you guys just using dead "live rock," or is it some other type of stone? I hear that tufa stone is good to use, as well as some lava rock. Would sandstone work? Is there a list of optimal stone to use?

Back