Making the impossible possible? Don't give up!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scoot, do you mean my current SW tank? I was just commenting on Ac7av's comment about their cichlid tank if that is what you mean. My freshie tanks have been gone for a couple years now.

Scoot, do you mean my current SW tank? I was just commenting on Ac7av's comment about their cichlid tank if that is what you mean. My freshie tanks have been gone for a couple years now.

YES THE CURRENT TANK.
I had FW tanks for about 25 years but switched to salt about ten years ago & now in between tanks but I have plans for another soon I hope.:shock:

Yes I was a youngster when I started FW! :D

Ah the good old cichlid days. If only fish were enough I would still be doing freshwater. I don't have any cool story about something I have done that I others would say is impossible. However, I do want to comment on your accomplishments Ben. I think the reason you are able to keep your mandarin and six line is the way your rock work is. You have it so intricate and a large amount that it gives great places for pods to hide from predation and keep breeding. I also think the large amount of live rock you have also contributes to your low nitrates. That along with your built in fuge section. All in all you have simply created great habitat (which in my opinion is as important as anything else in the aquatic hobby) and for that I applaud you.

Thanks, I appreciate the good comments. I do have tons of rock and hiding places for fish and pods. Including the tank and the fuge, there has got to be around 200 lbs or more in a 75 gallon. When I first started saltwater, I heard many people saying the strict rules to keeping sps or other advanced corals (also mandarins), and seems like I've bypassed almost all of them except for lots of rock and fairly good flow. I do plan on getting all the proper equipment though for my next 100 build before putting things in there. If I'm gonna go bigger I might as well do it right before my luck runs out.

Thanks, I appreciate the good comments. I do have tons of rock and hiding places for fish and pods. Including the tank and the fuge, there has got to be around 200 lbs or more in a 75 gallon. When I first started saltwater, I heard many people saying the strict rules to keeping sps or other advanced corals (also mandarins), and seems like I've bypassed almost all of them except for lots of rock and fairly good flow. I do plan on getting all the proper equipment though for my next 100 build before putting things in there. If I'm gonna go bigger I might as well do it right before my luck runs out.

Just remember is like you said before, there is “proper” and then there is what works. I think from my reading that a lot of people over look the obvious things that don’t cost anything and work great and go straight for the expensive brand name, fill in the blank, to do something. I recommend you stick with what works for you and if there is something you want to improve on then look into that area.

When my green spotted puffer was a live, he lived happily with mollies and guppy.

Here's some nice pics of a few of my sps. I have very cheap t5 fixtures and bulbs too but lot's of power.
16588_20100904043510.JPG

16588_20100904043414.JPG

possibility Vs Longevity

just cause it works today doesnt mean its going to work 10 years from now...

Back